Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do next, this bike will not start! Today has been the closest I've came. From what it looks like I'm not getting enough fuel because I've been told the spark plugs would be WET after numerous kicks/tickles, mine have microscopic drops of fuel on em. I cleaned out the carb and petcocks. One petcock flows strong and the other is slightly weak. I'm trying to start with both petcocks on. The battery's good. I'm getting spark on both sides. I don't know what to do next. Fire shot out of the carb today and I called a quits. Why is it doing that? It'll run for maybe a second or two and stop, so I know I'm close. I'd appreciate anyone's help or if anyone knows a good Triumph mechanic in Northern Utah I'm almost to the point of taking it in and letting them deal with it!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
More info needed. When was the last time it ran? Did it just quit or was there some missing an backfiring prior to not starting? Has it sat for a prolonged period? What color are the plugs? Are they sparking from the wire to the center electrode? What ignition are you running? How old its the fuel in it? If you don't have an air filter on it, you might try covering the carb inlet with your (or a friends) hand to choke it to see if you get enough fuel that way. How did you go about cleaning the carb?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info needed. When was the last time it ran? Did it just quit or was there some missing an backfiring prior to not starting? Has it sat for a prolonged period? What color are the plugs? Are they sparking from the wire to the center electrode? What ignition are you running? How old its the fuel in it? If you don't have an air filter on it, you might try covering the carb inlet with your (or a friends) hand to choke it to see if you get enough fuel that way. How did you go about cleaning the carb?
I was told it was being ridden weekly and was running just before I received shipment. I've had it for about three weeks and I've never had it running. The plugs are both black, I put new Champions in with no result. I checked for spark by leaving the plug on the wire and kicking it with the plug next to the head. How can I check if they're sparking from the wire to the center electrode? I have the stock points on. Fuel is fresh. I've tried covering the carb a few times and kicking with no luck. When I cleaned the carb I took it apart sprayed it out with carb cleaner. Both the bypass and outlet holes are flowing. If you need any other info please ask, I'm desperate to get it started! Also, why am I seeing fire come out of the carb?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Have you checked the timing? Make sure that the plug is firing on the cylinder that is on compression; people have been known to time the engine on the wrong stroke, causing the blowback in the carbs.

Don't ask me how I know, it's embarrassing: Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
this might help

If at all possible have a GOOD CO2 fire extinguisher around when messing with Gasoline and cranky motorcycles.

since you have the plugs out squirt some motor oil in the cylinders, kick it over to get rid of the surplus, plugs back in and then a small squirt of ether starting fluid in both carbs with the slides up so it goes in the intake ports.

or plugs out, oil in the cyl's, kick til the surplus is gone, pour a small amount of gas in the cyl's kick twice and clean up the mess so you won't catch fire, plugs back in kick some more.

i have a small pump oiler can with 10% motor oil and the rest fresh gas that i use to squirt into the intakes past the carbs.

sometimes the cylinders and piston rings dry out from a long sit ( or maybe from being worn out too) you need some compression to get a run. if these trix work and it stops running you probably have a feul feed problem.

you might be suprised at how many tanks have glopped up filters on the feul on/off valves. And then theres always the possibility some glop plugging the carbs.

none of this is too big a deal after the first time. BUT the first time around can be a real workout...

welcome to the club.

·
Registered
162 Posts
And

heres a good repost from KADUTZ on firing up after a ten year layup. Pretty good advice. BTW those old Amals have filters at the top of the float bowl (carb end of the feul line) that plug up occasionally! Don't overtighten the hollow bolt holding the 'banjo' when you go to putting them back on! Heres the repost,

"Well I guess your saying you bought a bike and my first guess is its 69 T120.
Here is what I would do and the order you do them in probably doesnt matter much.
I am assuming the bike is stock and when you say in the house you mean in the house(such as a family room) not a garage. Aloso since you dont know if the bike ran when it was parked you go to square one
1 change all fluids and clean oil tank.
2 check timing and clean points lubricate auto advance cam(you might want to pull the auto advance unit and lubricate same)
3 clean condenser connections
4 loosen rocker box banjos and kick engine over until oil come out (its easier to do this with the spark plugs removed) you might want to put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders while you do this.
5 clean carbs and lubricate cables
6 check and adjust valves
7 clean any p00p from the gas tank and put in fresh gas also check fuel lines.
8 new battery (12N94B1)
9 before you ride the bike NEW TUBES AND TIRES as the old ones are now dangerous

REMBER IF YOU GET HURT YOU HAVE DAMAGED GOVT. PROPERTY AND WILL BE IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE.

jus my pinion
K "

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sounds like a timing issue to me. Re-time it by the book (assuming it has points), then install a new set of plugs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also think its a timing issue. I don't know if I'd like to try and mess with that though, I really don't wanna cause any serious damage! Besides the timing issue, is it possible it is not getting fuel? I was told the plugs would be soaked after kicking for awhile. If this is true then that must mean I'm not getting any fuel. Thanks for everyones input and responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts