Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After forever and then some, got the bike running.

This bike is a blast to ride. Just my luck that we're having non stop rainstorms here. Few issues. Front brake doesn't activate the brake light. Do the switches go bad pretty often? Tried to take a look and it broke off the connecter. Time to solder. How do I get the switch off? Another thing is the tach stopped working. I have no idea where to start on this one.. I also noticed when riding 3rd doesn't engage til the clutch is almost all the way out. Sound right? All the other gears work fine. Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
13,274 Posts
Holy guacamole! Nice, nice, nice.

You need to un-thread the cable at the bitter (bottom) end and pull off the switch and replace it with a new one.

When old meters start to go, they start snapping cables because the clockworks get stuck. Some folks just squirt WD40 in 'em, others have 'em overhauled.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
an absolutly beautiful machine the parts you had plated a very tasteful and the pictures are great.

Front brake cable from your question I suggest you purchase a new cable with a new switch. If you have to ask the question and try to fix the problem you may crash the bike.

Tach operation could be bad tach drive, cable or Tachometer

Third gear problem I dont know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the comments! what exactly should i look for when i take out the cable for the tach? i took it apart yesterday and had no idea what i was looking at. as for the brake cable, i'll test the switch and see if we're still good, if not, wheres the best place to get a new cable?

·
Registered
601 Posts
thanks for the comments! what exactly should i look for when i take out the cable for the tach? i took it apart yesterday and had no idea what i was looking at. as for the brake cable, i'll test the switch and see if we're still good, if not, wheres the best place to get a new cable?
Rivera,

Nice ride you got there. As for the tachometer cable. Any
of the wires being broken. Also if any of the windings of the
wires is not tight, means it is binding somewhere. Also any
kniks in the cable as well.

Any for the Triumph jobber should be able to get the right cable
for you. Just be sure to have the casing length in inches for
them. That is the outer cover of the cable if I was not clear.

Pookybear

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Great jumping Quetzalcoatl!!! It looks like you've stolen my '70!! Now, with the key on, "jump" the contacts on the front brake switch and see if the brake light works. If it doesn't, you've got some wiring to check; if it does, pull the upper part of the brake cable to see if you can move the innards of the switch to make the light go on. Unless you're good at making cables, it's best you just buy a new one. If the tach cable inner spins with the engine running, check and see if the ferrule on the tach end of the cable hasn't "creeped" up a bit, keeping it from engaging the drive in the tach. Also, make sure that the cap which is just below the cable threads on the tach is there....they can (and do) fall off (might not make a difference in its operation, but it's there for some reason).

Good luck with it, it's one of the very best ones: Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turns out the cable for the tach was broken, will get a new one on the way here soon. as for the brake, got some wiring to check.

thanks for everyones input and help.

·
Registered
885 Posts
turns out the cable for the tach was broken, will get a new one on the way here soon. as for the brake, got some wiring to check.

thanks for everyones input and help.
A real beauty. I would suggest taking the broken inner cable for the tach and insert into tach and spin it with your fingers. The needle should jump a little. If you can't turn it then the tach may have broken the cable which it will do to a new cable wasting your hard earned bucks.

TD

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
OOPS!! Sorry Dale, I meant to say to "jump" the wires to the front brake switch........not the switch contacts. Try jumping them with the key on (although you probably already did that) and see if the light works.

The "village idiot" is showing his age...AGAIN: Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
I saw this 70 tiger on craigs list last week. It was only about 5 miles away so I went to check it out with no intention of buying. This is an original paint un -molested survivor. Still has the cloth on the wires. Only 14,000 miles.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts