Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really a top box fan for everyday riding, but I am going on a couple of fairly long trips this year and decided I didn't want a seat bag crowding me. Plus, I figured it would be good to have something lockable and watertight. So I bought the Bestem box on ebay for 70 bucks shipped. It definitely needed some changes to make it look a little nicer. I think it's worth the money and with a few tweaks, it fits solid. Before and after in the thumbnails.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
It doesn't look too bad. Is it mounted to the stock Triumph rack, or did it come with one?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I saw the Bestem on John's bike. Looks good even without his cosmetic mods... I thought it was a Givi till he told me otherwise.

Tom

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay,

The box is a universal fit. It's the model 929, a 46 liter copy of the Givi 460. It comes with a universal steel mounting plate that I carefully mounted to the SW Motech rack.

I originally bought the Motech quick release adapter plate for Givi MonoKey bags, but it does not work with Bestem. Apparently to avoid a lawsuit I presume, Bestem changed the position of the latch 180 from the Givi.

If anyone wants a detailed description of how I mounted it to prevent scratches, movement and what not, PM me. You do have to put spacers between the SW rack and the mounting plate so that the mounting plate clears the passenger grab rail. I used four rubber car front-end bushings I found at Pep Boys for 6 bucks. Even though it's up about 5/8", it's very solid.

The above link is the box. On ebay, they offered free shipping. I think they do via their web site as well. The quick release for the taillight will need some mod. but if you leave it on your bike a lot, it won't be a problem as is. Mine is not wired yet. Oh, and supposedly it fits two helmets.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Hi John.

I'm going to order the 929 like yours. It appears they only make one size top box ( 46litre), but with various adapter plates. I think I'll
use it on the Aprilia in place of the Givi E460. They have one there for $60.00 with adapter plate.

http://www.yostwerks.com/ApriliaGivi8003.jpg - Givi adapter plate for Top Box... Aprilia

I see no reason why these boxes can't be used as panniers also, since they attach pretty much like the Givi's but at way less cost,
and that includes adapter plate, backrest, and lights.... all of which are $$$$ options on the Givi's. If their adapter plate doesn't fit on
the Triumph pannier racks, I'll just make my own plate as before from HDPE. You can buy 4 Bestem's for less than one Givi E460 with
the same options. The E460 hold's two helmets.

http://www.yostwerks.com/TriumphGiviAD.jpg - Givi E460 on Sprint

Thanks a lot :) .... Tom

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tom,

If you can use their mounting plate with the HDPE, I think it'll work fine. I just noticed from buying the quick release Motech plate that the real Givi box latch enters the hole in the plate from the direction of center towards the rear of the box while the Bestem latch enters 180 opposite.

Tom,

I just looked at the mount for the Aprilia in your link. I don't think that'll work. The latch comes in from the rear on the Bestem. I thought about cutting another hole on the backside, but I wasn't that confident it would fit after I was finished.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
If you can use their mounting plate with the HDPE, I think it'll work fine. I just noticed from buying the quick release Motech
plate that the real Givi box latch enters the hole in the plate from the direction of center towards the rear of the box while the Bestem
latch enters 180 opposite.
For the Sprint, I'd just use your method of attaching the Bestem adapter plate to the SW-Motech rack. On the Aprilia , it's an easier
setup as I would use only the Bestem adapter plate directly onto the pillion with no separate rack.

For panniers, I'd first try to attach the Bestem mounting plate directly to the Triumph pannier rack, and if there's a fit problem,
then I'd just use my existing HDPE plates or make new ones. A less clean setup would be to bolt the Bestem adapter plate to an
HDPE sheet.

If it's simply a matter of reversing the latch, I'd turn mine around on the existing HDPE plates, as the SW- Motech
for Givi hardware is easily detached from the plate.

If the two pins are at a different spacing than the Bestem, I'd drill new bolt holes on the HDPE Triumph plate. I'm likely missing
something here, as the reality of an install can differ greatly from what "seems" possible .... However, There's always plan B. :)

Are you off any days this week ? We could get in a ride and I could take a look at your setup in more detail.

Cheers, Tom

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
It certainly looks smart Tri-oomph!

I have to admit I thought it was a Givi too.

Personally I am not a fan but I may change my view on top boxes one day:eek:

It does look very nice though.:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Bestem boxes are great value.Tri-oomphs mods certainly make them look better than the plain out of the box unit. Orange trim, what were they thinking:confused:

These boxes are a replica of the GIVI E460 box. In Australia they are also sold under the Rjays brand with a different mounting plate. The Bestem unit comes with the LED brake light included whereas the Rjays doesn't. You can also purchase liners for your boxes as well from Bestem at good price. Bestem do sell smaller boxes than the 929. Their 2012 box looks quite smart.

I have had my Bestem box on for a year and I am very happy with it. I hit mine with paint to make it match the bike better.

My bike is featured on their website

http://www.bestemtopbox.com/pages.php?cID=2&pID=14

Mine is mounted onto a Triumph cast rack with an adaptor plate I knocked up. I have also set these boxes up as panniers on my Sprint.

The only criticism I had of them was the clearance between the rubber stoppers and the box which allowed the box to rattle. I fixed mine by bashing out the dimples and then refitting the stoppers. I suggested to Bestem that they should fix this design flaw.

I like the convenience and security of the top box. Somewhere to lock up your helmet and wet weather gear because Triumph failed to accommodate this on the 1050. Also makes splitting lanes much easier than having panniers on.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ralphus,

Your post a while back is what steered me toward this box. As far as the loose fit where the pins slide into the slots in the front, I put 1/8" +/- thick rubber washers on the pin and it takes up all the slack between the pin and the slot. The box doesn't rattle at all.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I like the convenience and security of the top box.
I couldn't agree with you more, though I prefer the simple flat black look.

I've long felt that a top box was the best every-day luggage
solution. Though I often use a Givi E360 (40 litre), I recently
purchased a set of top loading E21 (21litre) panniers and
have started using one as a top box for day rides. It's small
and can't be seen in the mirrors. At $170US for a pair,
they're not a bad deal.... for Givi :)

Givi E360... Soon to be replaced by Bestem 929

Givi E21 as top box...

E21 top loading panniers... Small in size but nearly equal to Triumph panniers in volume

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hey Werks

That looks good and fits a helmet.

Anyone out there fitted up one of the Bestem 2012 boxes to their Sprint?

I am thinking of fitting one of these as a top box for my trip around Tasmania next year with my lovely wife on the back. They look pretty smart and have an LED brake light on them. I will be running the 929 boxes I already have as panniers.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Bestem Top Box on a Sprint

I finally got around to attaching the Bestem to my Sprint. The SW-Motech top rack was drilled and
four SS bolts / locking nuts used to secure the Bestem adapter plate.

Thanks to ralphus and Tri-oomph for bringing this inexpensive luggage solution to my attention.

Pics below.... Tom

Back Rest Attached

1 - 20 of 28 Posts