Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the PO distrusted oil seals. When dismantling to replace them I found that he installed two, back to back, in one fork. The lower seal with the rubber lip down and one right on top of it with the rubber lip pointed up.
The fork leaked anyway but probably due to age and neglect as much as anything. The O Ring was degraded too. Whatever oil was left that I wasn't wearing on the left leg of my trousers didn't look much like oil.
So, is using two seals a common trick that I should follow?
Also, I'm unable to free the fork from the stanchion. (Age and rust again.) I don't really need to just to replace the seals but I kind of like to take things apart to clean them up as much as possible. Can I back off the cap nut a bit and whack on it with a piece of wood and mallet or is that asking too much of the remaining threads holding the cap nut? Any other tricks?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah. I see that later ('71) forks required an "auxiliary wiper" on top of the seal. Apparently that's what was added. I wonder if it's an added benefit to put an extra seal on a prior fork even though it's not called for.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I thought there was just a plain washer above the seal,and the spring seats on that washer.I don't think the waser would locate well with an extra seal fitted (upside down?).

Rather than hammering on the dust excluder threads,you might have better luck using a slide-hammer in one of the axle clamp threads.A long 5/16" UNF bolt with a sliding weight,preferably with a lock nut to secure it in the slider.
Other than that you could clamp an 11/16" bar into the axle clamp,and knock against that.It should be OK,if the slider isn't ridiculously tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. My books show a plain washer above the seal as well. I don't have a parts book for a '71 so not sure exactly what an "auxiliary wiper" looks like but what was in the fork upside down was the same stamped part number oil seal as was below it. I"ll just go with the one seal.

I'm sorry that I completely misspoke about the "stanchion" in my first post and sent you to the wrong part of the fork. I was able to remove the lower part of the fork from the stanchion and so I was able to get to the oil seal, etc. It's the stanchion itself that I'm unable to free from the triples which is why I was contemplating whacking on the cap nut. Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Whacking the fork nut will end up damaging the thread of the nut for sure(I know from doing it myself),there is a withdrawal and reinstalling tool available or you can cut the 28tpi thread on a suitable sized lump of steel on a lathe and set it up as a slide hammer.Loosening bottom clamp bolts and wedging open the pinch gap helps ,but i would avoid stressing the slider,seal holder and its bolts with other suggested methods of removal.If the front fork or wheel mounts fail from being overstressed its all over for the rider
My 73 daytona has two seals facing opposite ways and the upper seal does not seem to be available any more so i reused them only replacing the bottom seals with new ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.