Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step, as they say. I started disassembling my 70 Bonnie for a restore back around 1991. I got as far as the first picture, then took a break for 18 years to build a house, a few businesses, kids, motocross, soccer, college, etc., etc. Seems like a blink of the eye. Things have quieted down enough now where I finally have the time to resume the project. All my parts boxes were right where I left them, and tonight I picked up where I left off, after setting up an area to work in and keep things organized.

This bike and I go back a long time, as I bought her when she was only about 6 months old, from a guy who had to sell it when his wife got pregnant.

I'm am planning a good restore, but not concours. I am hoping it won't take another 18 years to complete!

Here is the motor and frame-

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/uploads/24479/start1.jpg

While the motor is dirty, the bores looks good, but carboned up -

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/uploads/24479/start2.jpg

The head shows the carbon buildup - it got only local running with worn out carbs for a while before she was put away, and it shows.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/uploads/24479/start3.jpg

A lot of fun work ahead. The motor and everything else is getting a complete renewal, and I hope the pictures later on will look a lot better than these!

One thing I noticed taking the motor out. All the books and the service manual emphasize the need to remove the rockers to let the engine clear the frame. However, with the 70 and the removable front engine mount plates, it didnt' appear to be necessary. I did anyway, but I am pretty sure the motor would have come right out with the boxes still on, once the plates were removed.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It's a bit of a jiggle but as you thought, the engine can be taken out and re-installed intact. Good luck, have fun and keep the posts of progress coming. I'm just finishing a 68 T120 rebuild and will advise to use as many original or NOS parts as possible. I've had some pretty bad luck with after market parts quality, fit & function.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am writing this all down in my little book, so I can remember when it goes back together. When the time comes, I will assemble the entire engine on the bench, and put it into the frame intact.

I have one huge advantage on this project - I know the bike, and the motor has never been apart, so there shouldn't be many ugly surprises. Reviewing the parts boxes, I have pretty much everything. I'll need to find a good plater for all the nuts and bolts and such, as they are in good shape, but faded or lightly rusted.

I'll keep posting as I complete each milestone, and will be bugging everyone regularly for help.

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
This is just a half a snort short of fantastic. I would have liked to see complete side-on shots of the left & right sides of the bike "before".

This should be a really good project thread, and yes, I hope it takes less than 18 years! (18 months would be acceptable).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Right On! My favorite year.:D

I couldn't seem to clear the rocker box studs on mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts