Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been unsuccessful with my search in previous posts; I have a 69 TR6R (trying to rebuild). I went to fit the shell and spacers on last night and I only have 5.5" clearance between the lamp mounts. Definitely no give (in spreading them). Is there some "trick" to getting the 7" lamp shell mounted? Looks to be I'd be trying the "square peg in a round hole" and scratch everything up in the process.
Should I just go with the TR6C smaller headlamp? Thanks to DAGAD I do know that the front end came off of a 65 Bonnie. The parts manual says that the larger headlamp was used with the T120s and the TR6Rs while the TR6Cs used the smaller version.
If I have to go to the smaller lamp, will the TR6R harness suffice?

thanks for any help,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The fork shrouds (lamp mounting ears) are the same for 7" & 6" light units, only different thickness spacers. What shrouds do you have fitted Bryan?
Roy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the shrouds from Klempf's (pretty reliable). Been buying needed parts for my 69 for some time. Everything has "come together" quite well. There is no "give" in the shrouds since everything is assembled. Wasn't sure if there was some "technique" to getting it to come together since it was such a tight fit?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Because you have the 1965 narrow forks, there is no spacer fitted, only a flat washer under the fixing bolt head. You will need to slack off the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke and then when the shrouds are loos............ ish, slip the light shell in place. Fix the bolts and then re-tighten the fork pinch bolts.
The forks you should have are 5/8" wider and have spacers fitted between the shroud and the shell.
Roy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roy,
Thanks for the suggestion! Will give it a go this evening. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bryan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many Thanks!

Roy,
That did the trick! Snug fit, even the spacers fit in nicely. I ran into another possible delima; the back "cone" of the shell smarts up against my speedo cable (only using speedo, no tach so it is centered on the forks). Looked at a few pictures of the smaller headlamp and there is plenty of clearance. I'm hoping instead of buying a new shell, that moving the switch off to the side will allow for the proper movement (the switch is right on the speedo case and will not allow it to tilt up).
Thanks again for the insight.

Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts