Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
As many of you have guessed I am not always for installing modern electronics etc on these bikes. However there are exceptions. There is a modern alternator that outputs up to 150 watts that is a straight swap for the old 6volt generator. Converting to 12volts give vastly improved lighting. They do not require any non reversable alteration so suggest you consider one. They are made in France and available direct from UK also. made by Alton.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What's the question I made up my own end cover as that was also missing? I can’t upload the pic's have a look at happy birthday or GPZ I will email you the pic's

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the question I made up my own end cover as that was also missing? I can’t upload the pic's have a look at happy birthday or GPZ I will email you the pic's
I made an end cover for mine toobut; The generator has been exposed to the elements as it was neglected for years. If I can get this generator overhauled, my home made cover just may need replaced. You can get a glimpse of my generaor on the 'members photos' thread. It's on my second post/a you tube vid.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As many of you have guessed I am not always for installing modern electronics etc on these bikes. However there are exceptions. There is a modern alternator that outputs up to 150 watts that is a straight swap for the old 6volt generator. Converting to 12volts give vastly improved lighting. They do not require any non reversable alteration so suggest you consider one. They are made in France and available direct from UK also. made by Alton.
Thanks: I searched for Alton alternators and found them on a britbike site. Now that I know that old generator can be swaped out, it won't bother me to tear mine a part and take a peek. I've been running rechargables for four seasons, but seldom ever ride at night. I know the day will come when something breaks, I'll get back too late and have to use a flashlight for a headlight.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks: I searched for Alton alternators and found them on a britbike site. Now that I know that old generator can be swaped out, it won't bother me to tear mine a part and take a peek. I've been running rechargables for four seasons, but seldom ever ride at night. I know the day will come when something breaks, I'll get back too late and have to use a flashlight for a headlight.
Note due to the £ 50% drop againstthe Euro since August, it may be cheaper if you in teh uSA to buy direct from France thereby only going through one exchange rate mechanism. The $ has not fallen so much against the Euro as the £

1 - 7 of 7 Posts