Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Rod from San Angelo Tx. I just traded a sailboat for a 69 TR6R Triumph. First question is what is it? A Tiger, Bonny or Trophy? The Serial Number starts with CC123456TR6R? Second question I know it needs a clutch basket/hub-- any recomms on where to purchase one and should I replace clutch plates at the same time. Been sitting about 7 years but I did get it started for a bit before I think I have a gummed up carb? I asked to same question to one of the senior members of this forum previously before I found this and joined. Appreciate any info. Semper fi rod

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
13,309 Posts
Hey, I think it's a Trophy.

How do you know it needs a clutch basket? If the grooves are just a bit rough and not deeply saw-toothed, you can just dress them up with a Dremel tool.

You need to have a look at the friction plates to see if the raised pads still have at least a 64th. Also, check the plain plates for flatness on a glass pane.

The hub can do with only the inner rubber cush pads replaced rather than the entire unit.

Try Rabers & Baxters, plus a half-dozen other high profile reseller / stockists.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You're much better off with an old Triumph than with a sailboat ...

The 'CC' in the serial means it was built in March of '69. The serial number itself seems a little contrived to me ... I've never actually seen a '123456' before ... TR6R is a low pipe single carb 650.

After sitting that long, you should definitely go through the carburetor. If it has the original (or a replacement) Amal on it, the carby is VERY simple. Just order up a rebuild kit and go for it.

If you don't yet have a service manual and a parts manual, order them.

Most importantly, where are the pics of this fine old Triumph?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tr6r

Greetings and thanks for all the good info. I feel better now. I owned a Trophy 500 (pipes up on the left side) when I was stationed in Puerto Rico. Great bike. The exact serial number for this bike is CC13123TR6R. Believe the original color was a deep plumb/burgendy color?? I havent pulled the primary off but only went on what the original owner told me. I have it up on the lift now and cleaned it all up. Actually looks pretty good. Have a bunch of small stuff to replace, repaint etc but need to address the clutch issues and of course the carb when I get the time. If ya'll every up in the San Angelo area, pls stop in or give me a shout. Semper fi rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts