Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my rebuild continues, can anyone help, where does the oil pressure switch connect to, it's not mentioned in my plethora of wiring diagrams.

I know it extinguishes the ignition warning light (green) when there's sufficient oil pressure, but I'm stuffed if I know what to connect it to.

cheers

Mal

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hi Mal,

Dave M is right – good eye Dave – I saved the PDF! I could not find the oil pressure relief valve in my 1963 – 1970 workshop manual wiring schematic.

On my '70, a red wire with a green stripe is attached to it and it appears that it goes directly to the warning light in the headlight shell. I confirmed this via a visual inspection. I did not verify continuity though it makes sense given that the valve acts as a light switch and it matches the owners manual Dave noted.

Henry

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave & Henry, thanks for that, I have 3 different manuals here, that don't show the switch wiring. I'll look for the red & green wire in the morning, I hope to get the motor going tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the bike, its getting close now.

cheers

Mal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
it looks as if there's a white power feed wire from the ignition switch to the oil switch, red/green to the light and red from light to earth.

In my 79 T140 headlamp, I have a really good earth bond that feeds back to the battery and hook up the returns to that.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mal that is a drop dead gorgeous bike. I trust you will fit a front guard, with all the correct stays, before you ride it. I was amazed at the difference that made to my '69 front end.
Cheers,
neil.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mal that is a drop dead gorgeous bike. I trust you will fit a front guard, with all the correct stays, before you ride it. I was amazed at the difference that made to my '69 front end.
Cheers,
neil.
Hi Niel yes I'm waiting for the stays ( & tank rack) to get back from re chroming, they have been there a while.

I'd love to take it around the block, a wake up the other retirees, but not with the front brake cable leaning on the tyre.

Ah, I must be patient, it hasn't been ridden for 27 years another few weeks shouldn't hurt.

cheers

Mal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts