Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must defend myself, this is my first dry frame rebuild and pre-1970 to boot. Nowhere in the workshop manual, Section B1, is the breather tube mentioned. I did't attach the breather tube to the spigot coming out of the primary case BEFORE installing the engine in the frame. This created a new challenge that can easily be avoided, which is why I'm posting this! I had to lay the bike down on a foam bedding I've had around for camping. I used Air Line tubing intended for big" over the road" trucks as replacement for the crusty tubing that came off the bike. The I.D. fits well and the O.D. is not too large so it won't interfere with the chain and get eaten away. Not only is it thin wall tubing that is rigid so as not to collapse, it can be heated with a heat gun so that it slides over the fitting easily and then cools back down for a very snug fit. It cost me $1.60 a foot at my local parts store. Again, credit goes to folks like StuartMac and the search feature of this forum. StuartMac warned of this very thing happening to the unsuspecting types like me and also said be aware that the tubing must be thin wall to avoid the drive sprocket. The air line tubing was suggested by an experienced counterman at the parts store. This is another advantage of living in small rural towns in farm country. Lots of big equipment operating around here and farmers tend to fix everything they possibly can by themselves.... :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would be interested to see how it looks with final assembly. IIRC, the original was a clear, colorless tubing that yellows with age?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Hi Happyfeet, Experience is a good teacher! I've only had this off of a few original bikes. It was black thin wall tube that was more like plastic rather than rubber.

Now I use 3/8 Gates carb/evap fuel hose. Never use a clamp up there though!

I squirt inside of hose with carb cleaner or brake clean & it slides on fairly easily. I put bike on center stand, side stand down, then laydown & look up, put my thick magnifier glasses on & push in on. Not a fun job for sure. The old hardened ones can be a real fight to get off. I remove on hot motor, but let exhaust cool.

I had a comeback recently.... Hate so say it. I zip tied hose out of way. But.... a few years, 10k miles the zip tie migrated & hose kissed chain, rubbing through hose of course. My fault 100%. So replaced hose & put zip tie such I'm sure it won't move now.
Don

·
Registered
278 Posts
I must defend myself, this is my first dry frame rebuild and pre-1970 to boot. Nowhere in the workshop manual, Section B1, is the breather tube mentioned. I did't attach the breather tube to the spigot coming out of the primary case BEFORE installing the engine in the frame. This created a new challenge that can easily be avoided, which is why I'm posting this! I had to lay the bike down on a foam bedding I've had around for camping. I used Air Line tubing intended for big" over the road" trucks as replacement for the crusty tubing that came off the bike. The I.D. fits well and the O.D. is not too large so it won't interfere with the chain and get eaten away. Not only is it thin wall tubing that is rigid so as not to collapse, it can be heated with a heat gun so that it slides over the fitting easily and then cools back down for a very snug fit. It cost me $1.60 a foot at my local parts store. Again, credit goes to folks like StuartMac and the search feature of this forum. StuartMac warned of this very thing happening to the unsuspecting types like me and also said be aware that the tubing must be thin wall to avoid the drive sprocket. The air line tubing was suggested by an experienced counterman at the parts store. This is another advantage of living in small rural towns in farm country. Lots of big equipment operating around here and farmers tend to fix everything they possibly can by themselves.... :)
View attachment 747751 View attachment 747752 View attachment 747753 View attachment 747754 View attachment 747755 View attachment 747756
What is the inside and outside diameter of the air line tubing?

·
Super Moderator
13,229 Posts
I didn't attach the breather tube to the spigot coming out of the primary case BEFORE installing the engine in the frame... I had to lay the bike down on a foam bedding I've had around for camping.
Been there, done that. TWICE.

What can I say, some people are just thick-headed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts