Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 Bonnie: How is the horn/dip switch attached to the handle bars?
I have the new part but it comes with no clamp. Photos I see of it on the bike show it with no clamp. There is one small hole inthe handle bar on the left, but it doesnt seem in correct location.

Im stumped -- Surely i dont have to drill the bars to slot the two small bolts thru? :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine is attached with two small screws. (drilled) Are your bars original? Is the switch aftermaket, or a genuine item? You may have to re-tap two new holes to get it where you want it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, turns out there are 2 small holes in the bars ready for the small bolts -- ooopss, didnt see them earlier :eek:

Anyway, next big question: how on earth do you get the nuts and bolts to secure on the handlebars? They are far to far from the edge of the bar to get your finger in. Is a special tool needed? ALso, it came with the nuts facing out, I would think to make it look tidier the nuts should be inside the handle bar.

This is like one of those questions you find on an iq test!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You have an aftermarket switch. The originals came with self tapping sheetmetal screws. I ran into the same thing and was able to find a few the right size at a local hardware store. Much easier than trying to get those little nuts started inside the bars and you don't have to take off you grip. Your new swithch probably has the wrong color wires with no ends on them too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, thanks guys. I went with some self tapping screws rather than dick around with the bolts.

Yes, looks like I got a pattern part. Gotta say this switch setup seems like a real weak point on the Bonnie. Can't see it lasting very long in British weather! Might be alright in my garage in Sunny N. Carolina for a while. Still, surprised at the cheapness of the item.

Another thing--yes it has no connectors and the wires arent very long. I doubt it will stretch into the headlight.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I cut the wires off my old switch and spliced them on to the new wires so I'd have the proper ends and color code if I need to unplug the switch at any time (and so they would reach the headlight). I used some heat shrink from Radio Shack to tiddy up the splices. Unless you're looking for it, you never notice it. Sorry but I can't find the paper where I marked what color from the new switch went to what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts