Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this new/old '68 Bonneville that I'm picking up, I noticed the handle bars do move up and down slightly. They seem to have some form of padding between them and the rest of the bike. My Triumph guy tells me this is normal. That true??? Is this to help with some of the vibration?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
They have some rubber bushes that are intended to isolate some of the vibrations. I'm not crazy about the feel myself, it's too disconnected. I put new bushings in mine but it is still too sloppy. I am considering getting some of the solid inserts that are available to make them feel more solidly connected to the top clamp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. Bush. The person I'm buying the bike from says he doesn't like it either and has tied down his '69 to make it feel more locked in, but he told me, "if you want to ride them the way they were designed, then this is how they were back then". He did say it would help with the vibration. For me, it felt at first like the handles were coming off the bike. Saying all this, I'm sure he can clamp them down a tad. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts