Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally found the mountain corner carving overall setup that feels like a real sweet spot for my 2105 Street Triple R...
My goal was to end up with the best combination of cornering performance + ride comfort and all at a "moderate" price..... with the bike to be used primarily on curvy mountain roads in my area.

Shared as ideas for you all with a late model Street Triple 675 and similar riding goals...

Making the bike as light as possible without spending much: Removed around 30+ pounds from the bike (tail assembly, passenger footrest assembly, lead/acid battery, mirrors, stock exhaust, fly screen, belly pan).
Suspension:
Front - Race Tech springs and Motul 2.5W oil (centistoke 15) with 130mm air gap. Rebound 12 out and Compression 15 out. Fork tubes moved 5mm thru the triple trees. Total sag at 40mm.
Rear - UKRace shock linkage (straight rate linkage.. no passengers now allowed). Ohlins spring on stock shock. Rebound 10 out and Compression 17 out. Total sag at 30mm.
Tires: Pirelli Supercorsas. 32psi front, 38psi rear.
Exhaust: SC-Project conical with Triumph aftermarket exhaust map. Improved throttle response and control...

After a fairly lengthy journey of experimenting, this setup feels like my best compromise of feel, control, engine performance, ride plushness and cornering performance....

Anyone else willing to share their setup, in detail?
I am always interested to hear different setup ideas that work also...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Weight savings by removing the flyscreen and bellypan is probably negligible, especially because the belly pan's weight is the lowest part on the bike.
Also, thanks for posting your suspension setup but its useless unless we know the rider weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooops. You are right: Rider weight - 180lbs.
Note: Racetech springs front fork are .85kg
Note: correct that bellypan removal has negligible effect.... but I am saying losing 2 lbs. is still 2 lbs.... it adds up...=)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And those original, bug-eye headlights.... 5 lbs. just waiting to be removed.... but what to replace them with that saves alot of weight?
I bought a single headlight - aftermarket LED.... would look great..... but due to the heat sink at the back of the light it weighs nearly the same as the two original bug eyes together (I am not in love with the bug eyes).... anyone have lightweight replacement ideas for the "headlight"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you think you would feel on long distance commuting with that setup? (negating the tires in regards to lifespan)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my setup is purely for ripping around my local mountain roads....=)
so in that sense it is by nature a very focused, limiting style of setup... a "sweet setup" only for corner carving...=)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts