Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
that's probably going to be my next move since i'm up for a brake fluid change anyway. i'll just go ahead and break the calipers apart for a good cleaning and than i'll know.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
mihai, You don't really need to break the calipers in half. Just remove the calipers and pads, extend the pistons with the brake lever (use two worn pads or one new pad to prevent the pistons from exiting the caliper body) and clean with a toothbrush and brake cleaner spray. If any pistons don't extend, push the ones that did back into the caliper, block them from moving and using the brake lever force to stuck piston out.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Like this.............. but leave the brake lines connected to pump the pistons out as BradTX said.

·
Registered
37 Posts
got it. thanks guys. did it today - less crap than expected after 20k km's but nevertheless... good news was no stuck pistons, bad news was they're still the same spec.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just got a 2001 ST, first thing I noticed was the brakes being very grabby and not very predictable. Found these threads and paying attention. Probably should ride the bike a bit more to really see if there is a problem, but already considering the piston swap.

Don't see much of an issue with lever travel, just sometimes the brakes grab hard, immediately, other times more gradual.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You might want to get that looked into. My 2000 was like that.....before I wrecked it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
My brakes felt grabby to me, too, at first. What bike are you coming off of, Joe? I don't think there's anything wrong with my brakes or Ducatiman would have commented on them when he rode it. I think it's that I came off a Ninja 500, whose brakes I can only describe as adequate (they do stop the bike I guess). In comparison the Sprint has much larger, better brakes. And 2 front discs instead of one.

I admit, I had to spend a day practicing with them. I felt like a brand new rider all over again, but it helped. At first I was getting on the front brakes too hard sometimes and getting shoved forward during my abrupt stops.

If you are fairly new to bikes, or came off a bike similar to my Ninja 500, perhaps having a rider who is experienced with this type of bike ride it, you can evaluate if there really is a problem with them, or just a matter of getting used to it.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Joe,

Maybe you should just plan on a thorough brake overhaul anyway. Even if you didn't have issues a 10 year old bike will usually benefit from new seals, fluid and bleeding.

You said you're considering a piston swap. Even if pistons aren't the issue it would still be a good idea to do that while you replace the caliper seals. I replied to your post in another brake thread and pointed out that you can buy a set of Daytona 675 pistons and seals from BikeBandit for less than the cost of Sprint seals.

Also, don't forget the master cylinder. After 10 years the MC piston/seals are probably past their best. A piston overhaul kit is fairly cheap and even if you don't feel any improvement it will give you peace of mind that everything's in order.

Of course, pads and fluid should be replaced as part of a regular maintenance program. The same applies to the internal caliper and master cylinder components but we often overlook them because the maintenace intervals are much longer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks everyone. Probably need a little bit of everything. I am a newer rider, coming off an '82 Suzuki. One of the main reasons for an upgrade was for better stopping power. Need to practice, but I'm good at driving things and pretty mechanically inclined, and still found the braking to be unpredictable - sometimes very grabby, others less.

Bike came from a dealer - one owner, dealer serviced. Was told everything is in order and really no need for maintenance for another 6000 miles. Still, I need to find out what has been done, or do a thorough investigation to see what may have been forgotten or something.

Impatiently waiting for warmer days and clear roads. Very excited to learn this new machine =)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Your situation is similar to mine was with my 2000. One owner bike bought from the dealer. Being my first bike, I had nothing to compare it to. I do remember that the front end would really dive when the brakes grabbed. And they didn't grab all the time.....it was intermittant and unexpected. My 02 doesn't act like this AT ALL! So, I believe the front brakes grabbing like they did were not normal, and potentially unsafe. I encourage you to service them as champ87 recommended, or have them serviced by a competant mechanic.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thread resurrection time - I have the opportunity to buy some Daytona 675 calipers for cheap. My plan is to cannibalize them for their pistons and replace the stockers in my 2006 ABS (I suffer from the "pump up to have normal feel" lever travel, which lasts until the next stoplight.

Any thoughts as to whether the pistons from a newer 675 would still fit the '06 Sprint? They didn't change at all over the years, did they? Trying to avoid the caliper swap.

Thanks much

- Dan

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Any thoughts as to whether the pistons from a newer 675 would still fit the '06 Sprint? They didn't change at all over the years, did they? Trying to avoid the caliper swap.
Dan,

I don't know about the monoblock calipers - might be best to avoid those in case the pistons are different. Otherwise D675 pistons from the Nissin radial calipers will fit the Sprint calipers.

Personally I consider it bad practice to replace pistons without using new seals. Since the D675 pistons and seals come as a complete kit I don't see the value of using old pistons. I know there are plenty that will disagree but it wouldn't be right to post on the subject without expressing my concerns about your plan.

Nice new D675 pistons & seals ready to install.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dan,

I don't know about the monoblock calipers - might be best to avoid those in case the pistons are different. Otherwise D675 pistons from the Nissin radial calipers will fit the Sprint calipers.

Personally I consider it bad practice to replace pistons without using new seals. Since the D675 pistons and seals come as a complete kit I don't see the value of using old pistons. I know there are plenty that will disagree but it wouldn't be right to post on the subject without expressing my concerns about your plan.

Nice new D675 pistons & seals ready to install.
I'm new to this so I'm not sure if not replacing the seals (I assume the big rubber pieces in the shapes of calipers are seals...) is necessary. Is it necessary or just good practice to replace them?

And if replacing them, what does it cost for the kit?

- Dan

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just went on bike bandit, and it looks like a piston kit, with seals, costs $170 per caliper...see part 8 at the diagram for front breaks.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-triumph-sprint-st/o/m17659#sch569581

It also looks like the seal kit (just the seals) for each caliper is $80 per caliper ... see part 12 at the diagram.

That means it's a $340 fix, buying the parts kit from Bikebandit.

Other option is buy the pistons separately (from a totaled D675), plus $160 for new seals for both calipers? Still way cheaper than the $340 fix...

Am I missing something here?

- Dan

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Am I missing something here?
Yes, you're missing this post where I said that Daytona 675 pistons come with the seals. At least that's what I got when I ordered from Bike Bandit. Brand new pistons and seals for a total of $150 (less 10% discount for AMA members).

Edit: here are the BB part numbers if you're interested (click on the image for a larger version).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, you're missing this post where I said that Daytona 675 pistons come with the seals. At least that's what I got when I ordered from Bike Bandit. Brand new pistons and seals for a total of $150 (less 10% discount for AMA members).

Edit: here are the BB part numbers if you're interested (click on the image for a larger version).

I see what you mean - BBandit shows (for the 675) two different part numbers for the pistons and the seals, but on the actual part table, it lists them as being the same thing - piston set. Price is $75.30 per set.

I got the eight pistons (with the two calipers) for the price of one Daytona piston set, so hopefully, between the seals on the current sprint calipers and the seals on the D675 calipers (came off at 2100 miles), I should be OK. I don't want to spend the extra cash when I've already bought the calipers with pistons...

I'll keep you posted.

ALSO - any word at all on this piston swap not solving the pump-it-up lever travel problem?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
- any word at all on this piston swap not solving the pump-it-up lever travel problem?
The D675 piston swap completely cured the inconsistent lever travel on my bike. When I researched prior to doing the mod, that seemed to be the experience of others too.

Changing to a 5/8" master cylinder reduced the lever travel but at the expense of some feel. I'm still not sure if that mod was worth the cost. In my opinion the old 14mm master cylinder gave better feedback but more lever travel than I was used to.

·
Registered
565 Posts
2002 vin 144156 front brake piston seals crazy price

G'day guys..

I am replacing the front pistons with those from a 675. Got them from E'day at a good price. I just checked with the local Triumph dealer for a price on new seals !!! They quoted AU $145.00 per side..... What am I missing here, thats A$ 290 for 8 seals...

Any other seals that will suit ? Any locations other than Triumph that can supply these. Looks to me like 8 rubber o-rings.. How can they want so much $$$ for that ??

Thanks for any imputs and suggestions.

Harry

61 - 80 of 115 Posts