Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got bit by the bug...hard....

was going to look at a BMW R1100S Boxer cup replica the other day, took a wrong turn and ended up at the ducati dealership... i stoped in since i know the guys that work there and saw a beautiful 916 in red. Its been a while since i sat on one of these (before i got my liscence) so i thew a leg over...

Now i've only ridden my ninja 250 for extended periods of time... the guys at the dealership thought it was funny that i felt "comfortable" on this tiny bike... i say this because i'm 6'7" 250lbs, 35 inseam with a size 15 boot...

traditionally i was more into the sport touring bikes due to my size... but now if figure that if i was "comfy" on my 250 starter bike for those 2000 some miles i put on it... i can make anything work. I'm basically looking for something fun and RELIABLE to ride around on the weekends.

So my question to anyone with experience is how does the 675 compare to a 996/998? Size wise, performance wise, ease to ride? I like to think that i'm ready for a bigger bike (not looking to wheelie, drag knees, or even go to the track) but have little to no experiene on superbikes... Is there anything i should know about how these bikes handle? any differences i should be aware about?

what do you guys think? (sorry to ramble but i'm super excited and at work and am typing between projects lol)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I traded my '00 996s for a '07 675. Look for the pic in the sticky section here. I only have 40 miles on the 675, I just got it and it's winter here in Chicago. The 996 is known to eat rockers, but that problem was fixed on the 998. The Duc will act like a 1k bike, you can leave it in 3rd and tool around town. The dry clutch rattle is intoxicating to most, an annoyance to others. You must put some sort of pipe on it, and you will love the sound. I had the S, so it had Ohlis spec forks (TiN treated lower tubes) and ohlins rear. Awesome. It is a rack. My neck hurt bad after riding the bike for more than 30 minutes at a time. Helibars will help, but you lose handling. The 675 will handle better once I get it set up and revalve the forks and ohlins rear shock, and i'm a big fan of PP tires. So the stockers are on eBay when the weather brakes.

If the 998 is stock, the 675 will be pretty close, but remember the $$$ every 6k miles with the duc, and its not the best bike for comfort.

·
Super Moderator
8,683 Posts
A new 675 probably costs about the same as a decent used 998. They are pretty evenly matched for performance, although the 998 should have a bit more power. Unless you are using it at the track and can wring every bit out of a 998, a 675 rider will keep up just fine. A good rider on a 675 will flat walk away from a not quite so good rider on a 998, but it's mostly irrelevant on the street. It comes down to what you like and what's available. I was really tempted by a leftover green 998 some time ago. I thought it was absolutely beautiful in dark green, even if it had dorky Matrix graphics on it. I would still be sorely tempted by a green 998 if one ever turned up, but not enough to sell the 675.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Did you say you were 6'7"??? I`m 5'5" and think the 675 is cramped. No worse than the 996/998 though. No offence mate but you`re going to make it look like a mini-moto. If you`re not really into track days, scratching or wheelying you will be missing out on all the bike`s best qualities to struggle with it`s worst ones, ie space and comfort.

I think you might be better off looking at something more suitable for your height like a KTM 990 or the new F800GS. I think you would even find the Tiger a bit on the small side.

If you are really determined, I`m sure you`ll learn to live with a 675 but I can`t help feeling it will always be a compromise for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts