Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 T120R with makunis and a pazon ignition. When I turn the key off it will kinda run on its own and then puff white smoke out of the carbs. Almost like it was running backwards.

·
Super Moderator
9,296 Posts
Hi Keegan(?)

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. :)

pazon ignition. When I turn the key off it will kinda run on its own and then puff white smoke out of the carbs.
Can be a symptom of wildly-out spark timing. Causes the engine to overheat to the point it's so hot, other parts of the combustion chamber are hot enough to continue to ignite fuel-air mixture drawn in, which obviously draws in more. This does eventually cool the engine to the point where one compression stroke doesn't get over TDC and when the mixture ignites, there's a back-fire and exhaust through the still-open inlet valve and through the carb.

Is the Pazon a new fitment? If not, what was/were the last job/s you did on the bike before the problem started?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Hi
Pre ignition as Stuart describes, very quickly blows holes in your pistons.
Follow his advice carefully to prevent destruction of your engine.
Regards
Peg.

·
Super Moderator
9,296 Posts
Hi Keegan,
Its all new. Ive been building it sence April.
Which Pazon? Could you take and post some photos. of the Pazon "Box" and trigger unit parts behind the circular plate on the engine's timing cover?

Also some photos. and specs. of the Mikunis - model, the various jet sizes, needle, etc.?

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Keegan,

Which Pazon? Could you take and post some photos. of the Pazon "Box" and trigger unit parts behind the circular plate on the engine's timing cover?

Also some photos. and specs. of the Mikunis - model, the various jet sizes, needle, etc.?

Regards,
I can take some pics in a couple mins, I got it from lowbrow customs. I would also like to add that I don't have 2 dimples in my crankshaft where the pin goes in. I only have the one for tdc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The makunis I got at a swap meet the pilots are 60s and the mains are 65 but somebody drilled them out so idk what they actually are lol. There round slides I don't know the mm tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Keegan,

You 200% sure it's TDC, bearing in mind full advance is about 1/10th (36 degrees) of a full rotation of the crankshaft? If you're wrong, the timing will be wildly-out ...

Hth.

Regards,
This is my 1st triumph so Im learning as I go. It didn't want to start at all when I timed it as the manual that comes with the ignition. So I started turning the pick up board.(same as turning the cap on a distributor) and got it to start and idle. I was able to get it to run and ride today. I have E3 plugs in it right now also

·
Super Moderator
9,296 Posts
Hi Keegan,
my 1st triumph so Im learning as I go. It didn't want to start at all when I timed it as the manual that comes with the ignition.
Which makes me think either the flywheel divot isn't TDC or you didn't do the Pazon static timing correctly and/or something else is wrong.

If the bike is standard '67, it doesn't give you access to the timing marks on the alternator rotor without removing the complete primary cover. Is that what you did, or does the bike have a later primary cover including a separate smaller circular cover just over the rotor? Or, if you removed the complete primary cover, what fixed mark did you use when you "timed it as the manual"?

So I started turning the pick up board.
The makunis I got at a swap meet the pilots are 60s and the mains are 65 but somebody drilled them out so idk what they actually are
There round slides I don't know the mm
There are two ways of sorting this: DIY or hand it to a mechanic and pay his bill at the end.

If you want to DIY:-

. The important part is Do It Yourself, other Forum contributors might be able to offer advice but no-one can Do It For You.

. "idk" and "I don't know" aren't any good to anyone else; afaik, no other contributor is psychic.

. Just because your bike is 54 years old, it isn't some low-compression junker that'll run with any old crap bolted anyhow to it. Triumph, dealers and owners struggled to keep these things reliable when they were all-new.

. Spark timing - If "It didn't want to start at all when I timed it as the manual that comes with the ignition", Something Is Wrong. The basics of these EI have been around for nearly as long as your bike; done right, they do not need "the pick up board" futzing with (as @GrandPaulZ puts it) to get them to start and run "at all" after fitting.

. Carburation - How is anyone else supposed to 'know' what the "mm" or the jet sizes are, or even if the reason the carbs. were in the swapmeet in first place is because they're completely shagged? You want help here, you need to find out this stuff; e.g. look for any cast numbers, or at least get a ruler out, unbolt the carbs. and measure the diameter of the 'ole through the middle.

. When you post more detailed information, someone might post the internal bits you need. Otoh, you have an internet-linked computer in front of you, armed with some basic information about the carbs., you could look up, say, Sudco and use your time to 'phone or email them?

have E3 plugs in it
"E3" is the make; what grade are they?

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts