Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced the drive sprocket and clutch on my 650 and while dialing in the clutch I notice that I can't keep the bike in neutral. I can find neutral but as I ease off the shifter it's as if the gears start grinding/biting . I can manually ease the bike back into neutral by, again, placing some leverage on the shifter to keep it there but when I release that pressure the grinding/biting/ticking sound starts again. I disassembled the clutch so I know that's not the issue. Learning while rebuilding has it's disadvantages. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still banging my head against the wall with this one. Could it be the clutch throw out bearing? I'd hate to tear into that if it might be something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'm gonna move your question to the vintage forum; it may be more likely the right people will see it over there.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
First check the spring on the camplate plunger (big nut at the bottom of box).Gear oil will come out when you remove the plunger.

If you can't fix it there,you need to go further into the gearbox.Look for loose mainshaft nut,missing thrust washers on layshaft,then check selector forks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts