Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one of each of these, 1967 and 1969 T100R 500cc. I'm rebuilding from the ground up and want to get rid of those pesky steering neck ball bearings. Yes, I know they are perfectly OK and durable, but mine are a bit corroded, and I'm a bit compulsive. If I just had the actual bearing manufacturer name and number I could buy them for 1/2 or less of the Triumph parts suppliers. Yes, I really am that cheap, but I ordered one set already and apparently it was stolen from my porch. Never saw it.
Anyway, who has the actual bearing numbers and maybe even the seal numbers. You'd be doing lots of people a real service by providing them.
Thanks, :laugh2:
Don

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
From memory the headstock bores are not a std bearing size.
I fitted stock bearings but had to machine up some bearing sleeves to fit off the shelf ball races.
I think later I fitted tapered rollers in the same sleeves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I have an extra set of tapered steering bearings for a 70 650cc Bonneville. Not sure if they would be the same as a 500 bike.

They are Timken bearings,
1.) On the inside race it says: L44649 77? 0?
2.) On the outside race it says: L44610 77? 0?

The Top bearing is the same as the bottom bearing and came in the same kind of box with "almost" the same numbers on the outside of the box. I say almost because in the lower left corner of a sticker on the outside of the box from Timken it has "02B 22" on one box and the other box has "03B 22". Also, there's a metallic sticker on the box and they have different numbers. Also, in the box were sleeves that went around the outside race that is needed for the race to fit firmly inside the frame heck. Also, in one of the boxes came the zinc coated cap that goes on top.

The two boxes came taped together and below are photos of the boxes and bearings.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow! Guys, thanks for the info. Your input plus this from a supplier of a kit are pretty conclusive: "...but the bearing set up isn’t available from a bearing house- the races are special made[.] the store bearings are stock - one is 1” and the other is 1” 1/16 in side dem the top dust cover is also different"
Conclusions:
1. Exact fit bearings are not available off the shelf.
2. Either special sleeves or custom ground races are needed to provide proper fit.
3. Ebay has several kits available for as little as $35.
4. I'll buy from Ebay and avoid the cost and hassle of doing any custom work.
5. ...or maybe I'll just be happy with plain old balls.

Here's data from the least expensive Ebay vendor:

Triumph Timken Conversion Stock Front Steering End Stem
Item # : 371972133742
Sale price: $34.50
Quantity: 1
Sale date: Dec-12-17 21:21:50 PST
Seller: triumphwizard

Thanks again everyone, especially for the photos.

·
7,624 Posts
Hi Don,

I've got one of each of these, 1967 and 1969 T100R 500cc.
'67-on, the C-range (unit 350 and 500) frame uses the same steering head casting as the dry-frame 650's and then the triples.

The only 'dry-frame' fitted with oe taper-rollers was the T160; you could look in an online parts book for the bearings and additional spacers?

Or Gary's spare taper-rollers will probably fit?

want to get rid of those pesky steering neck ball bearings.
'71-'74, Triumph superseded the loose balls with caged ball races that simply drop on to the standard tracks - 97-4034:-

the actual bearing numbers and maybe even the seal numbers. You'd be doing lots of people a real service by providing them.
:cool: I doubt it. Many of the aftermarket taper-rollers are a pita to fit, and use afterwards. :( Even if new taper/rollers fit and adjust correctly, most riders of one of these heaps couldn't tell the riding difference - my T160's have taper-rollers, my T150 and T100 have caged balls, I only know because either I built the bike or I've at least had it apart. Given the properties of the two types of bearing, neither is 100%-correct in both positions - because of this, aiui some super-sporty modern bikes actually have one of each type?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yes, many of today's super sport bikes have switched from rollers caged ball bearing so why fit rollers ?....The reason seems to that balls give less resistance to movement compared to rollers...So this may be beneficial to an expert rider on a race track.....
But like Stuart said ....
most riders of one of these heaps couldn't tell the riding difference
That also goes for most riders on modern bikes...

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
All current MotoGP bikes use ball races in the steering head, so has my 2000 Ducati 748 and they are original and still good.
Ideally I'd run an angular thrust ball race at the bottom and a normal deep groove ball race at the top but I can't find the bottom one in the sizes I need for my bikes.
At the end of the day though a pair of ball races are fine especially as they have a grease seal built in on both sides to keep water and grit out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts