Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. After a long time away on four wheels, I'm back where I belong on two wheels, having recently purchased a 1966 T100R. I bought her from a guy who spent 5 years on and off rebuilding her and who sold her to me when she was 90% done. He had run out of time and the last thing left to do was put in a new wiring harness and get her wired up. I worked with a local expert to help install a new harness, put in a sparxx ignition, and replace the Amal carb with a Mikuni. However there are a couple of issues I ran into I was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out with.

The first is the air filter. I ordered a replacement one from British Only, only to find out that it didn't fit the Mikuni. Any thoughts as to where I could get an adapter or a filter that would work? Right now I've got it rigged with a dirt bike filter which gets the job done, I guess, but doesn't do much for the aesthetics.

The second is turn signals. The '66 didn't come with them and I'd like to put them on the front and back mainly for safety purposes as drivers around here seem to be blind to bikes unless you're wearing hunter orange and have a flame shooting out of your helmet. Anyone installed signals on their old bikes and know of a good place for classic looking stems as well as switches?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't know much about Mikuni's. I run my stock amals on my 70 and don't have a problem.

As for the turn signals, you harness isn't wired for them so your gonna have to rig something up. You can get any ones you like at this point and wire them up. You could call up any of the normal distributers mentioned in this forum and get some Triumph ones. They will be for a later model but they would look "British".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Call Dennis Kirk and request a street catalog. Look up turn signal kits. Buy the generic kit. It comes with a switch, flasher, etc. You will need the lights, look under turn signals, universal. The whole shooting match will probably be less than a tank of gas these days.

By the way, their website sucks, that's why you want a real catalog.

I have this setup on my 500. Works like a charm. You did convert to 12 volts, didn't you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hughdemann,

I appreciate the info. Since the T100R was the American version of the Tiger, luckily it came standard as a 12V system. I will give Dennis a call to get a catalog. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts