Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This bike it my first Triumph and I am enjoying the site. I traded my VW bug for this bike. I have already learned quite a bit from this site, and now the fun starts. What did I get:confused: The guy I traded with claimed it was an original '66 Bonneville, which it is clearly not. I would like some advice on a direction for this project, as I will be restoring it myself. It is titled as a '66. engine is DU33074. The frame number is nonsensical to me (.123739) the rest of the parts except for the fenders are 1970? Can I build this as a '66? or if the frame is '70 would it be better to get it re-titled as a '70? how can I find out what year the frame is without a proper serial#? Thank you for any help.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Up to 1966 the steering head lock was located in the left side of the steering head, about half way down. The lock was removable so you will find a keyhole shaped lug protruding from the frame. From 1967 the lock became a fixture in the top yoke, engaging in a hole in a plate welded to the top of the steering head. So if you have a lock in your top yoke (or a lock size hole in the top yoke) the frame is 1967 on.
I would treat it as a 1970 bike - that has acquired a set of earlier cases along the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the info. It does indeed have the lock built into the top yoke. Looks like I will be leaning towards a late 60's early 70's build. Did all of the 1970's have the removable front engine mount?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts