Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Bonnie out on the freeway for the first time yesterday.

Top gear, knees tucked, feet back, head down. It was freakin awesome! I felt like such a hooligan.

Forgive me for being a dorky noob, but I've never ridden a bike that fast. (My old hondas are not really suitable for the freeway)

I saw a guy on a Kawi coming the other way. He waved. I didn't wave back because I was afraid to take my hand off the grip!

Wish I had an "auto-wave" button :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
SIXTEE-FIHVE MYLES PUR OWAH?!!! Is there no end to this madness?!!!

:D

Don't worry about being a dorky noob, ride at your own pace and learn in your own time.

Pretty soon, you'll consider 65 a minimum,,,with NO hands on the tiller!!!

Ride safe, Neill

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got my new Bonnie out on the freeway for the first time yesterday.

Top gear, knees tucked, feet back, head down. It was freakin awesome! I felt like such a hooligan.

Forgive me for being a dorky noob, but I've never ridden a bike that fast. (My old hondas are not really suitable for the freeway)

I saw a guy on a Kawi coming the other way. He waved. I didn't wave back because I was afraid to take my hand off the grip!

Wish I had an "auto-wave" button :)
I'm surprised you lived to tell the tale!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
I agree w/ 270, don't worry about what others might think. Ride within your skill level and gradually extend it. One in a million Bonnie owners have complained about a bike that handles bad. The others (like me) find that these machines are stable as a rock at highway speeds and handle fantastically in the curves. So you'll get used to the handling (even veteran riders w/ decades of experience are still learning things too hopefully).

Glad to know you are enjoying your bike so much:)

Be safe and take care

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well at least you had you knees tucked in. I passed a guy on a new Bonny the other day had his knees wide apart. Man that looked dumb! If you can hear the valves put your knees against the tank...

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Take your hand off and wave don't be afraid. You've ridden a bicycle before with one hand, it's no different. Nothing adverse will occur. That's one of the parts of being on a motorcycle which is quite enjoyable. I actually get tired of waving sometimes because of the number of bikes on the road here in Albuquerque. We always acknowledge one another. What's really outstanding is getting in with a group of say...........5000-7000 bikes during a rally, like this past weekend at the toys for tots run. No cagger dares to mess with you. It is great commrodary and is a sight to see. Enjoy your bike and relax. You'll be a better rider for it too.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you got the balls to write this post you can handle 65mph+.
As mentioned, know your skill and know your bike before you explore higher speeds, the bike can handle it.
It's all about having fun and being safe.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Yeah, I went through the same thing. It took me the better part of a year to become accustomed to the turbulence at highway speeds. I still don't like it but it doesn't scare me too much anymore.

Two weeks ago I cruised down Interstate 81 in Virginia at 80 to 85 (as it appeared on the speedo) without any problems. Take your time and don't go any faster than your comfort level. If need be, stay off the Interstate until your ready.

Also, keep the speed down (rpm's) during the break-in period.

One last thing. As far as I can tell we're all dorky noobs and I may be the biggest one of all.:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right on! I'll let you guys know when I hit a ton (or 95 as the case may be)

remember, don't tease us leather-clad hooligans too much. we may come knock over your dustbins ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ARC,
Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bonnies. As everyone has said, ride at your own pace and don't be dictated by those of us that are brain dead from speed (not the drug). I work with a guy that had a 250 honda rebel for years and finally stepped up to a 750 shadow. It took him 2 weeks to get up the nerve to take the freeway to work. When he got here he was just like you WHOO! HOO! I did 70 on the freeway. I was like WHOO! HOO! I did 70 in my driveway.
Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Riding for Fun!

New to the group and have had a ball reading everyones stories. Hard to believe that there are that many people out there that enjoy their bikes for the same reason that I do.

Picked up my new T100 (Black and Red) this summer. One day someone asked me how fast it would go, and honestly that was the first time I thought of it. I ride country roads in Delaware and Eastern Shore of Maryland, top speed of 50mph and that is fine with me.

Ive ridden crotch rockets in the past but riding a Bonnie is about the ride, not how fast you get there.

Mine is completely stock right now but will plan on some mods. But she is a ball to ride as is.

Livin' the Dream!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
65 mph are fine

Hi friend ARC
and hello to all forum friends
According to my calculator 65 x 1.6=96Km/hour in Hellas the main national roads have 120 (km) top speed and in some rare cases a 130.
Doing almost 100 for your first atempts i beleive is fairly much speed so becarefull and dont thing you are slow or something!
Have time with your bike and be focused-
with time you will have to control better and better-
In my country oldmen tell a wise phrase that said:<<Ι am going slow because i am in a hurry!>>....meaning of course that going slower than others you will certainly arrive somewher,instead of death risk high speed riding.

time is a relative thing as A.Einstein proof
So be cool be slow -be fast-but always carefull!
ride to live -and be alive for riding!

Eugene B.
Athens
Hellas

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I had my bike to 70 once i would of gone faster but I didnt know to shift out of 1st gear.
No all kidding aside take your time man it takes some getting use to,speed is alot faster on a bike then a car .

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
For those that like philosophy:

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour (on your bonnie)
Robert Louis Stevenson

For those that do not:

Buy a Thruxton

·
29,948 Posts
Welcome ARC, I am glad you are enjoying your bike. As most of the others said, take your time, get to know the bike and be safe. Take a minute to visit our riding and survival skills forum to pick up some riding tips.

Above all enjoy!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi ARC
Glad to hear you are enjoying the bike so much.
Like the other guys have said take your time and ride your own speed.
I recently came off at 40mph and that is fast enough to hit the tarmac thank you very much. I rarely go over 70 and that is just fine by me. It gives people a chance to see how cool the Triumph looks anyway! Take care ARC.
All the best John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts