Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone has done this before, so here goes ...
I have a '78 t140v. The heads were redone by a previous owner, and
in addition to doing the valves/guides/seats 650 style screw-in spigots were fitted. These are 1 5/8" od. slip-over style.
So, I order a pair of 650 pipes (emgo). These fit the spigots, and take 1 1/2" mufflers. Everything bolts up nicely to the engine and frame, except for the right hand pipe, which interferes with the brake pedal.
What to do?
Is there another (year? Brand?) pipe that would fit?
The pipe is too high, and wants to be closer to the frame.

Can you bend chrome pipes?

(I am using 1972? style toga long (26") megaphones)

Thanks
Wally

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say the pipes you have were made for the early model with the shift on the right and the brake on the left,yes you can bend a chrome pipe but plan on most of the chrome flaking off. Sorry i couldn't be more help but when i fitted these exhaust spuds on my 77 i used TT pipes and didn't have this problem.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I used a set of 750 T140 pushover pipes on my 1977 TR7 with screw in studs. They fit reasonably well, although the left one is not perfect. The diameter at the silencer end is 1 3/8 and I did have to fit tip up extensions as the downpies are short to take the original long silencers.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say the pipes you have were made for the early model with the shift on the right and the brake on the left,...
Gearhead,
I suspect that you are right. The left side pipe seems to be tucked in a bit closer than the right.
With some adjusting (filing and bending) I think I can drop the right pipe down 1/4" so it will clear the pedal.

I didn't realize that the (newer?) slip-over t140(e?) pipes fit 650 size spigots. With the 1 3/8 od. muffler pipe I had the impression they were smaller.

Thanks all for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts