Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there am new here saying hi to all,
ok am undergoing a 61 thunderbird 6t 650 pre-unit triumph bathtub model,(it is nearly mock built up will up some pics asap)
and am having a problem locating the original paint scheme original logbook says maroon/black but ive searched high and low for what is painted black and what is painted maroon also the paint code for the maroon,
any help would be more than welcome some pics of the same model in the colours would be great,
if anyone could help me on this,
thanks....:mad:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have posted the colours elsewhere on the internet, you need to search a bit more to find them and where you can get paint samples from. (I can’t remember where) If it’s a 6T Thunderbird you got then the colours are black and silver sheen. Black being frame and forks. What is the engine and frame number?

·
Registered
330 Posts
bushy

Just realised!!!(tired)..I did a search & came up with a post on 'triumphrat' from 2008 from you bushy... This is the contact Jhn Critchlow at MS motorcycles(Coventry?).. Cheers..

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Just realised!!!(tired)..I did a search & came up with a post on 'triumphrat' from 2008 from you bushy... This is the contact Jhn Critchlow at MS motorcycles(Coventry?).. Cheers..

[email protected]
moto, that is a classic signature you have there.

The kind of stuff I've frequently heard when discussing this very topic with union organisers. RR

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yep Moto, John is the man to talk to. In the post you refer to were all the colour for bikes from about 1948 - 1962 with the colours, it was removed. It is posted elsewhere as well. I think just search "original triumph motorcycle colours or codes" and go in depth you will find it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have posted the colours elsewhere on the internet, you need to search a bit more to find them and where you can get paint samples from. (I can’t remember where) If it’s a 6T Thunderbird you got then the colours are black and silver sheen. Black being frame and forks. What is the engine and frame number?
Hi thanks for the replys numbers are D12838 matching numbers
it says in the original buff logbook black/maroon?

and thanks for the other replys he sounds like the man of the know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi heres a couple of photos these were taken today as you can see im nearly ready to strip down and get paint/etc done,
hope its ok to post them here if not let me know,
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi thanks for the replys numbers are D12838 matching numbers
it says in the original buff logbook black/maroon?

bushybester any update on that please just need to know which bits are painted maroon colour and which are black like the fork legs/ nacelle/ frame/ bathtub/ etc and anything else a pic of the said model in those colours would be great but im unable to locate one if someone knows the wereabouts ????
thasnks.

·
Super Moderator
13,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mitz.

I took the liberty of moving this thread to the "member's Projects" section.

Looks like a reasonably complete and original beauty you have there. DEFINITELY keep the bathtub!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
This is a local award winning Speed Twin restoration. Like the others I've seen, all the sheet metal is unicolor; the frame and underpinnings are supposed to be black.

Hope these help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thanks for the replys all i would really like to see a pre-unit bathtub in the colours i want black/maroon just to get it right that unit speed twin looks good would the pre-unit be exactly the same paint layout?

is that the name of the colour--Amaranth red?

also if anyone has a photo of a pre-unit bathtub model with the seat up as i want to see the electrics layout as i cant fathom out where the rectifyer and coil goes,
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My apologies for posting pics of a 5T. I saw the word "bathtub", 1:00 in the morning...you get the picture.

1) I can't find a picture one in the entire digital world of a 6T, with the bathtub, in anything but black and silver.

2) The 1961 US catalog only says "black and silver" in the 6T caption.

3) I did find one pic of a 1961 in maroon, but it was sans the tub.

4) The 1962 catalog, the colors are also black and silver and the caption says "this model available without enclosure in kingfisher blue and silver".

If it were my project I'd go to the previous posters info and contact a registry.

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
It's possible that the UK version was one colour, but the US/Export was another. That's what happened for Tiger Cubs.

John at MS paints will tell you. He's Hugie Hancox's son in law and as an aside, I'd recomend Hughie's DVD on engine strips.

http://www.classicbike.biz/triumph/Repair/56-62Triumph.pdf

http://www.bigdcycle.com/book project/PRE-UNIT TWINS/1961 650 twin parts/index.html

I'm sure that I've seen a picture on here (photo) showing the saddle up/off of a bathtub bike but lord knows where!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi ok thanks for all them links etc etc seems theres still no pics of my model amongst them with those colours im so frustrated atm not being able to find any info,
so ive e-mailed John Critchlow at MS motorcycles(Coventry) to see if he can help me as a last resort before i choose pink or something due to madness setting in :mad:;) ,
would still like a pic of the electrics under the seat if anyone can point me as to the places to fix coil and rectifier as it should be,
thanks,.,.,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi thanks for those that told me to contact john at ms motorcycles hes handy for me only 20miles up the road anyway after e-mail contact from john who is a very helpful person,anyway as my old logbook is a continuation book it is possible that the colour has been
changed the appropiate colour apparently is silver sheen/black so if anyone has any good pics of a bathtub thunderbird in those colours especially the tank would love to have them as a reference,and poss any colour codes as i havent a sample.
thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts