Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked the 6000 mile "scheduled maintenance checklist" for my bike. Looks like pretty basic oil, filter, check this and that. The only thing on their I'm wondering about is the throttle body balance. I've heard the dealer cost for the 6000mi service can be pricey. My manual says you need the Triumph Diagnostic Tool. Anyone have experience with negotiating with the dealer to only do the non DIY stuff? I'd hate to pay someone to do things like checking the plugs and changing my oil.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If I remember correctly, tuneboy can do the throttle body whatsit. I did my own 6k service, it was, and still is(10k) running fine so I ignored the T'bodies. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
IF you have to adjust the valve clearance it is a bit difficult since you have to remove the cams. You could always do all the stuff you feel comfortable with and just have the dealer do the things you can't. I've done that with lots of vehicles. Nothing says you have to pay them for the oil & filter stuff.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm at the same point. I just did the all the 6,000 mile service items except the throttle body balance. Like Limey's, my bike runs fine, so I'm inclined not to bother with the throttle body balance until the 12,000 mile service. I wish it was possible to balance them with conventional mercury balancers.

Incidentally, the maintenance schedule does not call for valve clearances to be checked until the 12,000 mile service.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did the oil and oil fifter before I took mine in for the 6k service. It came to $86.64. Probably a lot to pay for a rubber stamp in the maintenance log.

·
Registered
969 Posts
On 2006-11-15 11:38, left360 wrote:
I did the oil and oil fifter before I took mine in for the 6k service. It came to $86.64. Probably a lot to pay for a rubber stamp in the maintenance log.
Better than $200 for a rubber stamp and new oil!

I'm past 12K, I'm going to do everything I can and have them adjust the valves. I'm planning on it being $500. Hopefully they'll cut me a break.

·
Registered
684 Posts
On 2006-11-15 12:39, HarriS wrote:
On 2006-11-15 11:32, Curmudgeon wrote:
I wish it was possible to balance them with conventional mercury balancers.
I see no reason why not.
I haven't had the airbox out to look for something to which to connect tubes to measure vacuum and the service manual is silent on the issue. Are you saying you know it's possible? That there are indeed nipples to which tubes can be connected and screws which can be twiddled to balance things up?

I asked about this on another thread and no one thought it was possible without a tuneboy or the Triumph tool, but I'd be glad to learn it's possible.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The bike has only one MAP sensor which is branched to all throttle bodies. The ECU somehow detects which vacuum pulse belongs to which cylinder. Then it shows the MAP 1,2 and 3 values on the gameboy and Tuneboy. Then you look at the values and try to adjust the air bleed screws on throttle bodies to get more or less the same value for each cylinder. The factory gameboy shows "balanced" when they are close enough to each other. I am hesitant to believe this method is very accurate.

You can connect vacuum gauges to the MAP nipples like on any other bike. I don´t know what the MAP sensor thinks if you connect it to only one cylinder when balancing.

I don´t think the throttle bodies need very much adjustment. The shaft is rigid and if it idles and runs smoothly, just ride it. The sympthoms of unbalanced carbs/throttle bodies are lumpy and lopey idle and the revs hanging high for a moment after blibbing the throttle. Mine is at 12000km and runs just fine.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks, HarriS, I kind of thought along the same lines as you, but, since no one seemed to think it was possible to use conventional methods, I was inclined not to waste my time pulling the tank and airbox off to get to the throttle bodies. With your encouragement, I'll likely give it a go some time in the next couple weeks. If I do, I'll report my results on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts