Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to post this once, not sure but I had a cranial laps and I didn't post it so here it is again. My 2001 Adventurer is due for the factory recommended service (6000 mile) which includes valve adjustments. My bike is running great, very little valve chatter, vaccum is even across the board, carb sync is perfect. I really dont want to crack the seal on the engine if it is not necessary, but I'm sure the dealer will recommend the service. In other threads I have seen recommendations for anual valve checks and adjustments if necessary. I believe these are solid lifter engines which means a little chatter is to be expected, becoming less once at running temp. With all that I know about engines, and my current assesment of it's vitals, my gut says pass on the valve service this time, after all, if it's not baroak, don't fix it. Then again I'm new to the world of Triumph and lack the time and wisdom with these machines to make that call. Input please.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I had my '01 Legend serviced including valve adjustment, I was surprised in the power increase. I was glad in hindsight I had it done. I say do it completely including valve adjustment...my .02 cents.

[ This message was edited by: DragonNester on 2006-12-02 06:29 ]

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Get the valves checked- the first check is critical. Once it is done it should not need doing again for a long time.

You should not take the lack of valve noise as a good thing- The clearances on DOHC engines closes up as wear occurs so the valves do not get noisier. You could wind up with valves not closing fully which can hurt performance and do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awsome guys, thats what I needed to hear. Again not being well versed in the wonderful world of Triumph I'm glad I asked. Regards, and Ride on. :yayyy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts