Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really enjoyed my recently acquired 2007 T-100. A fantastic bike!

But on most rides I fined myself at least once trying to find a non existent 6th gear.

Just me ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Put a 19 tooth sprocket on the front and most likely you'll stop hunting for a 6th gear. Can't remember the last time I tried to find 6th gear since doing so. Quite a debate about changing from an 18 to 19 tooth sprocket. Some really like it. Others don't.

Something to think about.

Karl

·
Registered
333 Posts
just leave it alone and you will get used to it. 19 teeth is too woosified.
i may go to 17 teeth 'cuza my hack.

andody know the bestest plase to acquire one?

thx,
goo

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If you have a rev-counter you'll notice that at most highway speeds the two instrument needles travel more or less parallel to each other.
A quick glance at the instruments tells you you're in top gear.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you have a rev-counter you'll notice that at most highway speeds the two instrument needles travel more or less parallel to each other.
A quick glance at the instruments tells you you're in top gear.
+1, yes thats what I do most of the time.

Plasma.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've found I do this too, usually on the AM & PM commutes. Traffic at those times is usually above 60-65, and at least once a day I find myself wishing for one more gear.

That said, I like the gearing ratios in general in all other riding circumstances.

·
Registered
448 Posts
when I first got my bike I was had the same concern. But it faded quickly as I stopped baby-ing the motor. Most of my riding is on local parkways, that is six lane divided roads. so I am up to 60 ish and back repeatedly.Really I am in third gear for the most part, cruising about 55 mph. I only use fifth gear on the freeway. So what I have found best for me, is to cruise the bike at around 4000 rpm, not down around 3500. there is a sweet spot there the whole drive train seems to be very smooth. I am running about 4200 rpm at 80 mph depending the wind.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i don't even got a rev counter. my harley don't, neither. my norton and beemer do but it ain't a big deal.
the less stuff you got to look at, the safer you is.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
For the type of bike and the torque range it has, IMHO there is no need for a sixth gear. Indeed, on many bikes it seems more of a marketing ploy than necessity.

That's my two-cents worth any-hows!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts