Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing a quick check here. I'm not looking for the difficulty level in adjusting vales or the cost of the dealer doing it. I've already decided I'll do it myself.

The question I have is this:

For those of you who checked the valve settings at 6,000 miles (as recommended in the service schedule) did you find that the valves actually needed adjusting?

I'm asking for a very simple reason. I've got a bike that is approaching 6,000 and running like an absolute top. I haven't put it on a dyno, but it is just running gangbusters. Checking the valves can't hurt, but I also don't want to waste a lot of time checking and fixing stuff that ain't broke. My theory is that I'll wait until the 12K mark or until the bike looses performance, at which time I'll adjust the valves.

I change oil/filter every 3K, do safety checks at least weekly, adjust the belt when needed, but taking a few hours just to see everything is fine (while the engine is running well) seems like a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I'd wait to 12k if the bike is running well. Why f with it.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Where did you get the 6000 mile valve check idea from? The service manual says first check is 12k and every 12k thereafter. Most said at 12k they were close, so with those facts i don't know why you'd want to do it at 6k.

·
Registered
356 Posts
yeah... what Dazco said... valve checks in the manual are specified every 12k miles, or 20k km's. I actually waited until 24k miles before I checked mine, and only the exhaust valves were slightly out of spec. I then waited until the 36k mile period to actually do anything about it.

The report I had from the dealership was that the valves were exactly where I said they were... exhaust valves slightly out of spec (too wide) and the intake valves were in spec. They adjust all of the valves anyway to get them right in the middle of the range (might as well when everything is apart).

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get the 6000 mile valve check idea from? The service manual says first check is 12k and every 12k thereafter. Most said at 12k they were close, so with those facts i don't know why you'd want to do it at 6k.
My bad ... for some reason I thought it was 6K. Maybe I read it on the forum.

Good news anyway ... less work, more riding.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you are handy with tools, you can do the valve inspection yourself at 12k... just be ready for some "OMG This totally sucks" moments when doing it. There are other threads on here where both myself and Dazco go into detail about just how much doing a valve inspection sucks.

I just recently had mine in for an actual valve adjustment, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it myself, and the labor to do that was pretty intensive.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are handy with tools, you can do the valve inspection yourself at 12k... just be ready for some "OMG This totally sucks" moments when doing it. There are other threads on here where both myself and Dazco go into detail about just how much doing a valve inspection sucks.

I just recently had mine in for an actual valve adjustment, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it myself, and the labor to do that was pretty intensive.
Problem is that the dealer gets upwards of a grand to do the "12 month check" and I have the tools and experience to do it myself. Even if it eats up a day (or two), I don't care. It's worth it and I'll get to know my bike even better.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I never said i did it, only that i can see it would be horrible. I know the likely results. I can do it, and i would IF I had a place to do it which i don't. IF i was willing to take a lot of time and be patient which i wouldn't be able to. And IF i was willing to very possibly run into several of those "OMG" moments, which at my age and as jaded as i am is intolerable. Thats a huge understatement ! I used to go at anything myself because i was cheap and usually not very financially endowed. I had drive and enthusiasm. Today i see the several hundred dollars it costs to have it done as money exceedingly well spent ! Knowing the sweat, time, trouble, cussing and general mental torture it would take, i happily handed over the $370 when i had mine done. VERY happily ! Besides, with the way we go thru tires a $370 valve adjust every couple years is nothing.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I never said i did it, only that i can see it would be horrible. I know the likely results. I can do it, and i would IF I had a place to do it which i don't. IF i was willing to take a lot of time and be patient which i wouldn't be able to. And IF i was willing to very possibly run into several of those "OMG" moments, which at my age and as jaded as i am is intolerable. Thats a huge understatement ! I used to go at anything myself because i was cheap and usually not very financially endowed. I had drive and enthusiasm. Today i see the several hundred dollars it costs to have it done as money exceedingly well spent ! Knowing the sweat, time, trouble, cussing and general mental torture it would take, i happily handed over the $370 when i had mine done. VERY happily ! Besides, with the way we go thru tires a $370 valve adjust every couple years is nothing.
+1 yeah that ^^^^^^^ :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My 6k tune was $370.00 and they didn't ck the plugs, said taking off the tank was a pain. I was quoted $1000.00 for the 12k service. so much for riding to work to save money.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 6k tune was $370.00 and they didn't ck the plugs, said taking off the tank was a pain. I was quoted $1000.00 for the 12k service. so much for riding to work to save money.
Like I said previously, this is exactly why I do the maintenance myself, even though I can afford to pay a dealer. $370, and taking off the tank was a pain? I can pop that tank in less than 30 minutes without even breaking a sweat, and yet they had the stones to charge you without even checking the plugs, which is part of the recommended maintenance.

$1,000 for the 12K? Really, they are out of their minds ...

Finally, no matter how good a dealer is, I'll do a better job of servicing my bike because I treat it like what it is ... my money!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts