Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been building a Triumph chop for the last 5 months and getting to the stage that I need help.

The engine runs but spits oil out through the crank cas breather pipe located near the front sprocket.

An Ideas as to why. Where should this be piped to or just left open.

Thanks In advance.

So far

·
Registered
245 Posts
dunno anything about your problem, but that is a slick ride dude. i dig the whitewalls with the spokes on the back tire. :cool:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Its probably wet sumping,oil drains into the crankcase when its been sitting around awhile,happens on all the old british twins,you can get an anti drain valve to slip into the oil feed line-:)J.B.

·
30,309 Posts
Ah - apololgies, I missed this thread. It's best in classics and veterans, there are plenty of chaps there that know lots about these motors.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Pretty sharp Bopper.

Hopefully, it's not a matter of the builder leaving out the timed breather disc before closing the crankcase halves!

Two options if so:

1. arrange an oil trap plumbing system that somehow allows the engine to breath, and through some baffling system, allows the oil to return to the tank. gravity is your enemy here. Perhaps drill some breather passages in strategic locations in the primary and fabricate a later style breather pipe at the rear of the inside top part of the primary case. You'll still have to plumb the old breather up as high as possible to trap oil, or plug it up if you are sure you have added adequate breathing elsewhere.

2. tear the engine apart and insert the timed breather disc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts