Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just purchased a T595 and wanted to take the wife out for a ride, but I can't get the rear cowl off. I've tried pushing down on the cowl while trying to turn the key. Any suggestions?

The key just will not budge. I'm sure this is a simple mechanical lock.

If nobody has a quick answer here, I'll contact the original owner who is a nice guy - I just don't have his contact info with me right now.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello all.

I just purchased a T595 and wanted to take the wife out for a ride, but I can't get the rear cowl off. I've tried pushing down on the cowl while trying to turn the key. Any suggestions?

The key just will not budge. I'm sure this is a simple mechanical lock.

If nobody has a quick answer here, I'll contact the original owner who is a nice guy - I just don't have his contact info with me right now.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
hmmm...you should just turn the key and then kinda get your fingers around the lip of the cowl and pull up. I dont have a pillion seat on mine so it might be a little tighter on yours.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Mike, Maybe like my '04...stubborn on/off. Try this, while putting clockwise pressure on the key with one hand smack the back of the cowl's rear downwards. The key will hopefully turn and the rear of the cowl will pop up.

Double check the cowl/pillion seat after installing to make sure it's latched properly.

Brad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like your cover may be partially latched. Use both hands, palm down and fingers spread, to firmly press down on the cover and see if the latch "clicks". This takes pretty much force on my Daytona--maybe 50 lbs. Then try the key again. The key should turn fairly easily. On my t595 the key turns CCW to open.
...j

·
Registered
295 Posts
The key won't budge? Sounds like maybe the ignition switch and key are not originals or the release system for the passenger seat is not original? Maybe the previous owner has the other key?

Or do you mean that the key won't budge the release mechanism?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts