Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hi Trumpetrider.
You certainly have something there and well worth restoring to what ever style you desire. I would start off with a few questions for you first.

• The first being just what have you got there?
  • What is is the engine, frame and gearbox numbers?
  • Can you photograph them and send them in a message to me?
  • I will be able to verify just what you got.
I personally would recommend this is the starting point for you then you can decide what to do. It's certainty got a Bonneville head fitted to it, so some more photos of that will be needed to identify it properly.

Cheers Bushy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hi there guys I'm a lil farther w the disassembley of the bike I'm making it a hard tail i need help removing the swing arm pin any advice would be great ?pics of 4 inch stretch w a 2.5 drop would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thank you ill try that tonight i want this thing off so i can send it for paint! what you think of making it stretched and dropped also was wonder what it would be like to leave it or dropped

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
just want to make what i got work lol and its on its way i think any positive input will be helpful cant wait to pull up to the harley museum with this bike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok so this is the low down on the bike i found this bike in a barn w moving blankets on it it sat for 8yrs so far i found out the bike has original title and its not a true 1959 motor on it this bike has been hacked up lol running into issues left and right so i decided to strip it down and start over maybe not a wise idea but want it to be trust worthy so any lil help along the way would be great ill post pics as i go so any helpful hints of on how to update the bike to this day and age so it can be semi reliable so far what i did was clean up the carbs and see if i had compression i had compression but not good compression 125 left 155 right so then i couldnt get spark from the magneto so i removed the magneto didnt know better but the magneto lost time and i moved the crankshaft.
so now everything is not set b4 top dead center i decided to take the complete motor out and over haul it i will send it to maurys in Illinois im stuck right now for me to take it out the frame i will be posting pics asap from the start to finish if any one can put there 2cents in please do so i need to learn more and input would be Rad im in milwaukee wi
What information do you need. If it's just timing the valves and spark it's easy on these motors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are a press fit and can be a real S... My '57 Tbird needed a 60 ton press and a lot of heat. Do this before painting.

·
Super Moderator
12,690 Posts
They are a press fit and can be a real S... My '57 Tbird needed a 60 ton press and a lot of heat. Do this before painting.
GREAT TO KNOW!!!

He would have beat it to death with a sledge hammer (and he could have blamed ME for that!)

I was lucky at my old house, I had a neighbor less than 1/2 mile away with a 60-ton press.

There are ingenious ways of extracting them, but I typically resort to bigger and bigger hammers...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
GREAT TO KNOW!!!

He would have beat it to death with a sledge hammer (and he could have blamed ME for that!)

I was lucky at my old house, I had a neighbor less than 1/2 mile away with a 60-ton press.

There are ingenious ways of extracting them, but I typically resort to bigger and bigger hammers...
lol thank you for that grand i will have to resort to jon henry to get it out!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ok update motor is out of the bike as of last weekend will be updating pictures as soon as i can pressing the pin this week and sand blasting the frame.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
just need todo a leakdown test and and helicoil the sump bolts and rebuild the clutch and transmission just want to make sure its bullet proof fot the 500
thats a race bike that is the guy who is working on my motor!

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts