Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this is the low down on the bike i found this bike in a barn w moving blankets on it it sat for 8yrs so far i found out the bike has original title and its not a true 1959 motor on it this bike has been hacked up lol running into issues left and right so i decided to strip it down and start over maybe not a wise idea but want it to be trust worthy so any lil help along the way would be great ill post pics as i go so any helpful hints of on how to update the bike to this day and age so it can be semi reliable so far what i did was clean up the carbs and see if i had compression i had compression but not good compression 125 left 155 right so then i couldnt get spark from the magneto so i removed the magneto didnt know better but the magneto lost time and i moved the crankshaft.
so now everything is not set b4 top dead center i decided to take the complete motor out and over haul it i will send it to maurys in Illinois im stuck right now for me to take it out the frame i will be posting pics asap from the start to finish if any one can put there 2cents in please do so i need to learn more and input would be Rad im in milwaukee wi

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol love the help from the girl friend and not to bad w the color match i actuall just got my fender and tank back from paint looks like the ruby red slipper of of wizard of oz

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im at the point where im going to pull the motor and trans but would need some advice about removal steps of the trans and motor i need some one that has done it b4 so they can guide me the right way im going to take pics of where i am

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Just start whacking with a sledge hammer till all the bits are on the floor.

Are you going to overhaul the engine, or attempt to trust it? If no overhaul, first remove the carbs & pipes, then the primary drive, then the primary inner case, then un-bolt the engine power unit and remove it, then remove the transmission.

If overhauling, first take off the carbs, then pipes, then head, then cylinders, then pistons, slip some pipe insulation over the rods, then remove primary, then pull the bottom end from the frame, then remove transmission.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes im going to do a complete overhaul im just trying to figure out how to remove the inner primary case guard and to do it right im taking it to a known triumph guru but need hell at this point from where i am at im going to take the frame to get painted when this is all out and at the shop im posting pics of where im at today please Grand help me through this hiccup lol to many pbr s get in the way sometimes

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
by the look of the sludge in the bottom of the crankcase - it's better you didnt' try (or succeed) to run it - make sure that whomever redoes the motor for you removes the sludge trap and cleans the crank very carefully.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts