Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the purpose of the vertical lever on the left front corner of the motor? It appears to be a cable operated piece with action to the rear. Thnx in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,809 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this post over to Classic, Vintage and Veteran.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A picture would help a LOT ...

Possibly manual advance for the magneto ... possibly choke ... again ... a picture would help ... both ends of the cable, please ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A picture would help a LOT ...

Possibly manual advance for the magneto ... possibly choke ... again ... a picture would help ... both ends of the cable, please ...
I don't have a pic ... the lever is chrome (or stainless), about 4-5" in length, round and exits the aluminum block just at the base of the left cylinder right at the front (approx in line with and below exhaust outlet).
Thank you for your interest ...
Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Sounds like a compression release / de-compressor lever to aid in starting the bike.

You kick the engine slowly to TDC, pull the lever and ease the piston past the compression point, then you kickstart the heck out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a compression release / de-compressor lever to aid in starting the bike.

You kick the engine slowly to TDC, pull the lever and ease the piston past the compression point, then you kickstart the heck out of it.
Turns out that the lever is an exhaust valve lifter ... so I guess that it is a decompression device after all. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,364 Posts
Hi Andy,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. :)

However, please check the date of the last post before posting to a thread ... in this case, I hope the OP sorted himself out some time in the last ten-plus years ...

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts