Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 95 Thunderbird for a ride today and after about 10 miles of mostly highway speeds I was headed towards home and going 55-60 mph the bike sounded like it was cutting on and off, with the wind noise in the helmet I figured it just the wind drowning out the engine noise. As I approached a stop sign I started to slow and the engine sputtered and stopped. Coasted to a stop, started the bike and it idled rough and gave her some gas and it sounded rough. Shut her down and got off the bike to see if I could see anything leaking from the radiator or crank case, nothing. Started it up and it ran fine the rest of the way home (about 4 miles). What does this mean? Do I need Nology coils? Pickup coil? This bike has run without a hitch since I purchased her at the end of May.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last time I filled up I heard air rush in when I loosened the cap, does that mean anything??? If so, what to do?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
The vent for the tank is built in to the gas cap.

If it is not venting properly and a vacuum builds up in the tank then the gas cannot flow into the carbs.

There is an overflow tube and it has a one way valve. Tip over valve prevents the fuel from running out of the tank in a tip over situation. Some remove that valve, to let that be the tank vent. Not the best idea, but it will solve your problem.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Re the tip over valve, I used to have the same hissing of air rushing in (negative pressure when I loosened the fuel cap when refilling. (I never had any fuel starvation problems, tho' I've had a non-stock locking cap almost since I bought the bike.)

After much sucking & blowing from both ends in all manner of contortions & much head scratching (would have been funny to watch :D ) I finally decided I had the valve the wrong way up.

This photo shows the correct orientation: (lying next to my super duper ZX6R shock)

The pipe is also easily pinched when refitting the tank btw.

If the problem isn't solved after checking this, I would check fuel flow thru' the tap & filters (not forgetting the 'duck bill' filter at the carb end). These are the most likely if the loss of power is gradual and/or cuts in & out. If that doesn't cure I would suspect the ignition crankshaft sensor aka pick up coil (under r/side crank cover) - this is more likely perhaps if the cut out is sudden & complete & the bike won't restart until the engine is cool. (Not had this myself, but these are classic symptoms from other T3 owners.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts