Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was fortunate to visit the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham UK, just a few miles from the old Meriden Works. I was delighted to see so many old bikes, but especially the Triumphs. One of the bikes on display was a 59 Bonneville, restored to new condition. As you can see, the oil tank and side panel are painted black, and it reminded me of how the light blue side covers on my 2009 50th Anniversary Bonnie don't look right to my eye. The visit to the museum settled it - I'm going to have to find a a set of black 2009 side overs for my bike, and put the blue ones away for posterity. Although the pictures don't show it, Triumph really nailed the paint of the 50th Anniversary bike as the both the blue/gray and orange appeared to be a dead nuts match.

I also really liked the headlight nacelle on this bike - very cool!

I also saw a modern Triumph that I'd never seen or heard of: a 750cc 4 cylinder prototype that was under development to counter Honda and their CB750 - pretty cool!

Dick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great photos

I'm with you on the black side covers. I have seen both blue and black side covers on restored 59's. I wonder which is correct, maybe both?
I have 571 and was thinking of using black side covers as well.

Nice pictures thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
50th Anniversary manufacture date and document history

According to the museum curator, black was the way the 59's left the factory. Mine is #327

Dick
I have information on a few 50th anniversay models and have observed the serial numbers are not consecutive compared to xxx of 650. It appears that Triumph just picked units off the assembly line to make anniversay units and they were not a consecutive 650 production run.
One thing I did note howerver was that two 50th anniversary units that I have seen have the same manufacture date.
Mine is 571 and was built on 08/08.
I have seen 619 and it too was built on 08/08.
Both were delivered to Canada.
I would like to attempt to document these 650 units so if anyone is willing to share their information:

number xxx of 650

build date

country of delivery

location optional

serial number optional

RAT name optional

other information optional

If enough people respond we can assemble the information to try to preserve history of the originals.

Anyone interested?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm working on a pair of black covers now.. I have a "special" plan..
That looks ** a lot** better! If I weren't so lazy I see if the black side covers from one of my '07s will fit the 09 - the shape appears to be a bit different.

Dick

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have information on a few 50th anniversay models and have observed the serial numbers are not consecutive compared to xxx of 650. It appears that Triumph just picked units off the assembly line to make anniversay units and they were not a consecutive 650 production run.
One thing I did note howerver was that two 50th anniversary units that I have seen have the same manufacture date.
I would like to attempt to document these 650 units so if anyone is willing to share their information:
number 327 of 650

build date 07/08

country of delivery USA

location optional California

serial number optional 374384

RAT name optional dkreidel

Dick

·
Registered
289 Posts
That looks ** a lot** better! If I weren't so lazy I see if the black side covers from one of my '07s will fit the 09 - the shape appears to be a bit different.

Dick
Dick, they'll fit.. the black side cover in the photos came off my buddy's '01 Bonnie.

Try it and see how you like it in 'real time'.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dick, they'll fit.. the black side cover in the photos came off my buddy's '01 Bonnie.

Try it and see how you like it in 'real time'.
Hi Hogtied - Yep, you're right, they do fit! Life would be perfect if I could live with the blue side covers on my Creamsicle! If you find a good source for a set of black covers please let me know.

Dick

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks
I've got number 350 of 650

build date 07/08

country of delivery Belgium (only 3 are delivered in Belgium)

serial number: 374764

Jan

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm working on a pair of black covers now.. I have a "special" plan..
Beautiful bike Hogtied! I'm putting the more traditional black side covers on my blue & silver Thruxton. I have never liked the big blue covers, so I'm making the change too. Can't wait for them to get here!

I'm also working on a 'faux' oil-tank cap for the right side cover!

Hmmm, very mysterious... what is your "special" plan?

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm also working on a 'faux' oil-tank cap for the right side cover!

Hmmm, very mysterious... what is your "special" plan?

Cheers,
What about the "faux" kick starter? Sorry I couldn't resist. :kick:

·
Registered
639 Posts
What about the "faux" kick starter? Sorry I couldn't resist. :kick:
Hehehe... I toyed with that idea too. You could mount one on the front sprocket cover if you really wanted to. I really don't miss kick-starting bikes.

My CB750 4 piper had a weak battery last year and I kick-started it until I got a new battery... usually only took one or two plunges to get her goin'.

I know our new bikes don't leak much, so how about a 'faux' retro bike oil leak? I've seen these at some of the old bike meets.

Just toss one under your friend's Norton or Vincent for instant hilarity!

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Fake-Oil-Pools-p-17073.html

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
50th anniversary info

I've got number 350 of 650

build date 07/08

country of delivery Belgium (only 3 are delivered in Belgium)

serial number: 374764

Jan
OK thanks Jan for the info. I have started a spreadsheet and have about 25 anniversary's listed so far. When I get up to about 100 I will try to post for everyone to see.

Please encourage 50th owners to post ther info

number of 650
serial number
build date
country of delivery
RAT contact or other contact information

So far, the few that I have build dates for indicate, all built on Aug. 7 or 8 of 2008.

thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you find a pair?
Only the ones on my 2007 :>)

The local Triumph dealer wants about $275 for a set!! Did you find a better deal?

Dick

1 - 20 of 42 Posts