Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just get aquainted with my speed triple over the last while, so :

Does anyone else get a dip in power at about 5-6000 rpm , or around 80mph in top gear. Happens when you open her hard at this stage , she stutters , then picks up the power after a second.

If you open the throttle more gradually you dont get the dip.

Just wondering is it my bike or is it the triple way. If it is my bike what should i check. ? ie, carb setup , cleaning carbs, coils etc.

She has just been serviced : new airbox, plugs , carbs balanced .

·
Registered
575 Posts
The only flat spot should be just off of idle (like 1200-1350 rpms).

I am assuming that we are not dealing with coils here in that your symptoms are the same regardless of operating temperature. However, with regards to ambient temperature, are the symptoms more noticeable in warmer temps vs cooler temperatures? If so, to rich/fat.

I thing you are dealing with carb tuning/jetting issue.

My 2 cents... But let's see what the experts say. Best of luck!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ok, Mot could be onto somthing here...

More questions...

Are you steady cruising in top gear 5,000+/- RPM's or are you accelerating through the 5-6k revs when the power "dip" occurs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steady Criusing at 80mph. Then hit the throttle hard , for a fast overtake , and she bogs down a little before picking up the revs.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
That steers us away from the coils....ok at 80 she ain't gonna set the world on fire but should pull well from there on up..could be fuel if the inline filters are choked a bit ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could be fuel type as mine runs like a dog if wrong grade used.
In Aus we have 91RON ,95RON ,98RON plus ethanol blends.
I use 95 as recommended & the bike runs great,using 98 or 91 it runs like Sh*t!!
Ethanol blends i would stay away from in carb bikes & in fact is NOT recommended by Triumph Australia.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Am I crazy for thinking there's a dip there from the factory?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had read that there was a dip , around 5000 rpm mark. Thats what im not sure about. Is it in all of em or is it just my bike.
Once she sorts herself out after that stuuter she pulls real strong.

·
Registered
575 Posts
No dip anywhere with Mikunis.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The only flat spot should be just off of idle (like 1200-1350 rpms)... However, with regards to ambient temperature, are the symptoms more noticeable in warmer temps vs cooler temperatures? ...

Any thoughts on^?

Also, any differences between the engine being cold vs. up to operating temp?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only flat spot should be just off of idle (like 1200-1350 rpms).

I am assuming that we are not dealing with coils here in that your symptoms are the same regardless of operating temperature. However, with regards to ambient temperature, are the symptoms more noticeable in warmer temps vs cooler temperatures? If so, to rich/fat.

I thing you are dealing with carb tuning/jetting issue.

My 2 cents... But let's see what the experts say. Best of luck!

I let her sit for a week. She now runs worse from cold, stuttering all over the place when she is under heavy load, ie, top gear roll ons. Gets slightly better as she warms up.
Makes me think its a combination of coils and Carbs.

Does anyone know what voltage i should be getting across my coils, both max and reserve.
Im getting high results for no 1 one cylinder , like 20 and 9
But no 2 and 3 are much lower , like 1.6
Gonna swap coils with my friends thunderbird this week to see whats what.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You can see some voltage & current oscilloscope traces for coils (on stock & Ignitech igniters) is this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/176705-dissecting-t3-ignition-systems.html

Each coil is fed +12V battery power & then the other terminal on each is switched to ground by the igniter as required. Dwell (on time) & advance are controlled in the igniter.

I've experienced slight misfiring/hestitancy on a T3 Sprint due to a failing coil, but the rpm range was nearer 4k than 5k. It is a possibility tho'. We used a strobe light (Gunson) to successfully figure which coil was at fault. Comparing one cyl with another did show up uneven firing/flashes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts