Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I just bought a 2008 R3T (pics below). This bike is exactly what I've been looking for, but just never knew existed until I stumbled into a local Triumph dealer the other day.

Anyways, the dealer was very insistent on me bringing the bike in at 500 miles for the initial service which is supposed to cost about 325 USD. But I was looking at the maintenance schedule in my owner's handbook and there's only one item that I could not quite easily do myself--"Engine ECM - check for stored DTCs." So should I do it myself for less than 70 USD or should I just pay the dealer more than three times that amount to do it for me? Would you folks have any advice one way or the other?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Wow. That's about twice what my Rocket's 500 mile service cost! Personally, I'm someone who really likes to have a professional check out my ride periodically, but a price like that would make even me strongly consider the DIY approach.

If you do the other work yourself and can find someone to read out the codes (in the unlikely event that there are any), any of us here who own shop manuals will be glad to look up the codes' meaning for you.

By the way, congratulations! Truly beautiful. That's my favorite color scheme on an R3T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I certainly wouldnt pay that much. My dealer said the only important thing on first service is the oil change. This is where they put in synthetic. I personally will buy the triumph synthetic unless I can come up with a comparable oil. IMO the "dealer sevice" is over rated.
In all my years owning cars ,bikes,lawnmowers,snowblowers and the like I have found there is little value in what the dealer can do for me. This of course is just me, but unless a major catastrophe occurs, I do my own service. I found it to be more reliable less costly and I know its getting done right. Just my .02:cool:

mutt

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats Nico, I love that color on this bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have done all the maintenance on my bike. I believe the dealer will only change the oil to synthetic and the filter and other minor things.
If your check engine light is not on they you don't have and DTC's. These digital trouble codes only show up when the check engine light comes on. Be sure to use a very good grade of synthetic oil. Mobil 4T racing is the OEM spec.
Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi,

I've taken the plunge and order my standard R3 with a view to collect at the weekend. I had thought that the first service was 1000 miles, but an oil-change was needed at the 500 mark.

Is it all done at 500 miles and then the next service is 10K later ?

Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Wow that's a hit,unless it becomes a warranty issue i'd DIY...! Congratulations on the new ride.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I paid just $179 for my break-in service at 800 miles. I think I'd check that cost at any other local Triumph dealership before bringing it back to your dealer. That's as bad as BMW. :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
I paid $340 for my first service:eek:. Labor rate 85 per hour @ 2.5 hours.
Parts (incl oil for 115). I figured I'd bit it for the first service, but not the next ones unless it's something I can't do myself.

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's a bit much-but my service manager at the dealership spends almost 1 hour at the first R3 check. 6 quarts and a filter are 150 or so, and then labor. They go every nut, bolt, and connection. Re-aim the lights, cable adjust, ect. It is stuff I do myself, as many others, but you may want the first one done by Triumph. But I'd want to know why 500.00

Mine was 200

·
Registered
34 Posts
Warranty Issue?

So, does anyone know how, or if, doing your own 500 mile service would affect warranty coverage on the bike? I see it the same way, an oil change and a once over I can do, but don't want to chance it if it could void the warranty. I am pretty sure I know what the dealership's perspective will be - do any of you have any insight?
BTW - first day on the R3 (mulberry '07 standard with Jardine exhaust and remap from dealer) and I AM IN LOVE!! Only got to do about 75 miles, but plan to get out more tomorrow (taking the day off work!). Sorry for getting off topic in this post, :D I'm just way fired up!!
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
So, does anyone know how, or if, doing your own 500 mile service would affect warranty coverage on the bike? I see it the same way, an oil change and a once over I can do, but don't want to chance it if it could void the warranty. I am pretty sure I know what the dealership's perspective will be - do any of you have any insight?
If you live in the States, it cannot void your warranty. (Provided you do the work correctly, of course.) Here, a vehicle manufacturer cannot require the work to be done at an authorized dealer unless they pay for it. Some places, Triumph does pay for the first service, but not in the US. So, keep records when you do your own work and save receipts for the materials, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Is anyone aware if that can be applied here in the UK ?

Also, what about the second (i.e. 10K service), if that is completed outside the dealership (maybe by a home mechanic) does the void the remaining warrenty on the bike?

All I could find from the UK Triumph site was the following: "Triumph does not accept any liability whatsoever for defects caused by the fitting of non-approved parts, accessories or conversions, or by the fitting of any approved parts, accessories or conversions by non-approved personnel."

Which to me looks more like a general liability catch-all, but not explicit regarding warrenty claims.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you live in the States, it cannot void your warranty. (Provided you do the work correctly, of course.)....
Thanks, Diego, that's what I was hoping to hear. I may still bring it in to the stealership for everything other than the oil and filter change -that I'll definitely do myself.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts