Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Good on you, I am not far behind you and coming up to 46 years, and my body is doing well, have no pains or aches from riding all them years, had 3 left knee injuries and one broken thumb and a fractured arm so not bad for 45 years of riding and most of that time was everyday riding, plus a few licence suspensions from lost of points, I still ride my bike hard whether on the road or in the dirt and bike riding isn't a bad habit to me and I am still riding with a lot of mates who started at the same time, life couldn't have been better.
Good luck for the next 50 years lol.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I took my first ride at age 9 on a Honda 90 in the summer of 1969. So I passed my 50th year this past summer. Not counting harmless spills in the dirt, I've had only two get-offs of note. The first seems funny now. I was riding pillion when my buddy low-sided during a left turn in the rain. I sailed off the bike in the sitting position, making a perfect ass-landing on the curb doing about 20 mph. I felt my spine compress on impact. It hurt like hell. But when I stood up and stretched, I felt (and heard) my spine click and clack, everything popping back in place. Ahh, to be 17 again. No damage. Went to work. Had matching bruises on my buns for a few days. The second get-off happened in 2016 and was much more serious. I was turning right and got taken out by a cager turning left. Said cager cut across heavy traffic, finding a gap he thought he could shoot, not seeing me in the process. Cager's insurance company is fighting my insurance company (and my lawyer), claiming that I'm a crazy reckless biker in spite of the fact that their driver was issued two citations at the scene of the accident. Yes, I was wearing all the gear but still ended up with a few serious injuries I'm still dealing with. Replaced my 2012 T100 with a 2014 T100 in 2018 and am back on the road.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I've been riding for 51 yrs. Both on and off the road. Wouldn't have missed a single minute, except when I hit that stupid deer. Boy I hurt for about a month. Oh well got a new bike out of it....So all is not bad.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
56 years of on and off road motorcycle riding for me this year and I see no reason to change things. I certainly do recognize and accept that my skills and reaction times have diminished some but I am still an extremely competent motorcycle rider.

Bob

·
Registered
253 Posts
Only 50 years so far Missouri Bob; the good news is that you still have a long ways to go.
Meanwhile, congratulations on your Golden Anniversary !
Best Wishes from a rider who has been enjoying riding for over 65 years and still gets LOTS of pleasure from riding all his motorcycles, but finds it's easier to ride his 865 Triumph now more than his 1700cc Yamaha. Who knows how many more years it will be before I'll want to downsize to something like a 250cc bike. Whatever, it's all been good.
Lots of dirt bike crashes here, but knock on wood, still none of those too close encounters of the street kind.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I started in'67 on a Honda S90 - always had at least one bike since. Not sure how many riding years left, but love riding - always have.

·
Registered
253 Posts
YOU are the man Uncle Nort !
Thanks for the terrific advice. Any time I'm looking for an early demise, I'll be sure to check with you first.
I'm feeling better already, time for spirited ride on my Bonnie, I'm sure that's gotta be almost as good for me as your Prospoxy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW….hadn't ever really thought about how many years I've been riding. 63yo now, and started at age 12, so 51years. Damn it goes by fast !!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Started in 1961, borrowed my older brother's old BSA Bantam he had adapted for off road use, on what is now called a Green Lane. I was 11 at the time, later at 14 (1964) I bought a pre war hand gear change James and rode that off road as well. First legal bike with provisional licence etc 1966, the year we won the Football World Cup, never to be repeated, but talked about for ever more. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts