Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, my trans was apart at some point and would only shift up to 2nd. I torn it down and thought I found the problem. it looked like the forks were binding up on the camplate. I used a dremel to open the groves of the camplate and it was working fine. I put it back togther and rode it a few miles and it was hard shifting and then got stuck in second. I can get it into 1st and N but not 2nd. I think the camplate is still the problem. What do you guys think

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I think you should have left the Dremel in the cupboard, and looked harder for the real problem.

You don't say what year/model so advice would just be guessing. RR

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never known anyone have to remove metal from a camplate,
normally they have too much rather than too little clearance.
Check the index plunger with the cluster removed if this isn't lining up or if the plunger is worn it may jam the camplate.
The other thing is to ensure the gear change quadrant is correctly aligned, and all the bearings are in reasonable condition.

Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 76 750.

I had the trans outer case off and turned the camplate with my hand and it looks like it was binding up with the forks. After I put it back together it seemed to work for a bit. But now its jamming when you try to get it in second. No one has ever had this problem?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
shifting 5-speed

Indexing a 5-speed is a PITA. The Hanes manual I have is wrong. Do it by the factory manual. There is good info in the archives here. Good or new bearings and seals are a good investment. Make sure all the gears a situated like the parts book. It'll be great when your'e finished. I laid mine over on the left side on an old tire and things did'nt move around during assembly (30 or 45 degree angle) Bob

·
Registered
157 Posts
My suggestion is to start from scratch......strip out the complete box, check the camplate operation with no cluster in place, when you are satisfied with that check the condition of the bearings and bushes , when you are satisfied they are ok, re-assemble the box, put the inner cover on, lift the back whell clear of the ground
and ckeck you can get all gears (you will have to rotate the wheel in order to do this. If you can get all gears at this stage it only remains to align the change quadrant, if when you put the outer cover back on tou can't get all the gears then either the alignment is incorrect or the quadrant has problems, possably a broken spring etc.

These boxes are very good and if assembled properly, have a very good feel. You should not need to use excessive weight on the lever to change.

Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My suggestion is to start from scratch......strip out the complete box, check the camplate operation with no cluster in place, when you are satisfied with that check the condition of the bearings and bushes , when you are satisfied they are ok, re-assemble the box, put the inner cover on, lift the back whell clear of the ground
and ckeck you can get all gears (you will have to rotate the wheel in order to do this. If you can get all gears at this stage it only remains to align the change quadrant, if when you put the outer cover back on tou can't get all the gears then either the alignment is incorrect or the quadrant has problems, possably a broken spring etc.

These boxes are very good and if assembled properly, have a very good feel. You should not need to use excessive weight on the lever to change.

Nick
This is exactly the process I use.

I took the trans apart again tonight and found the the 2nd shift fork is binding. It was not when I put it together. The forks show some wear and the camplate has some rough spots. I guess I'll have to spend the money on those parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts