Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my 08 S3 is about 2 months old, done 3000kms, daily ridden to work. Over the Christmas holidays the bike sat for SHOCK HORROR 5 days without being ridden.

I pull out of the garage this morning, put the key in the ignition , no lights , nothing. Battery is dead flat, there were no symptoms ever that there was an issue with power.

Put it on the charger for about 2 hours and managed to get a slow crank, enough to start her. After a 15min ride, it was kicking over good as new again.

Whats caused this, is it what i think , that is just a dud battery that sat on the shop floor for 6 months without a charge? or is it something else?

The dealer said batteries are not covered under warranty BUT the battery has a triumph sticker on it that says void if removed??

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Do you have an alarm installed?
Parked with the parking lights on?

If no and no, then the battery is propably bad. If I got it right, the dealer preps the battery, not the factory -> if there is a problem with the battery that soon, the dealer should take care of it.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Hi Aussie_triple. Batteries are usually covered under warranty, either the batterymanufacturer or the

In fact Point 12 on Page 4 of your "Motorcycle Service Handbook" has the warranty Terms and Conditions which state the battery is warranted for 6months. So if it won't hold charge it's faulty, if it does now you've charged it, then probably the dealer didn't charge it fully when fitting to your bike.

BTW, which city are you in and which dealer?
Russ

·
Registered
978 Posts
My S305 sat for 5 days over the new year. This morning she was a bit reluctant to start and after my 5 mile trip to work the battery died as I stopped in the parking lot. *sigh*
Guess I'll take the bus home and charge the battery over night.

I really should have remembered to do that yesterday. :mad:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Within the first year of ownership of my '06, I had to have the battery replaced twice (under warranty). The second time they discovered a faulty rectifier and replaced that too. All's been well since.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey russ, ive talked to you via email before (patrick /themr2). Im in Sydney and its from Team moto blacktown. I will have to check my handbook for warranty!!!

It holds a charge OK, as it did for the first 2 months, but probably not if i leave it for 5 days.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Whether or not the battery is covered under warranty, the dealer should take care of the problem on a 2 month old bike.
Here, here! And I don't think it's uncommon for a battery to be weak on a floor model (If your bike was.) when salesmen start-up but seldom ride the bike. My wife's scoot had the same problem. The dealer replaced the battery w/o hesitation.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
hey russ, ive talked to you via email before (patrick /themr2). Im in Sydney and its from Team moto blacktown. I will have to check my handbook for warranty!!!

It holds a charge OK, as it did for the first 2 months, but probably not if i leave it for 5 days.
Aha trying to confuse me with one of them there handles on the web site :D

We'll have to get you on a ride out west Patrick. I'm not sure if I can do it (another volunteer will if I'm working), but I'm working out a short run with Motorcycling Australia from Kellyville to Picton for the 1st weekend in Feb. I'll post on TRAT when the date is confirmed (Sat or Sun).

How's the bike now, holding the charge?
Russ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey russ, yeah its holding a charge, but i ride it pretty much everyday. Were you out at windsor road , the petrol station across the road from the pub with your tiger on sunday? I went up putty road with a few mates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts