Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
short story made long: went in for goodwill brake job and had new pistons and seals, brakes felt worse more lever travel--figer crushing action!! told the dealer to try re-bleeding them, they called up on friday and said they would put on a sprint m/c that is bigger. stock is 14mm, sprints 5/8 (about 17mm). won't cost me a dime, on triumph. Do I have a lemon? why do they have to replace the m/c, and if they do will I be able to get new levers w/o buying two pairs??
ARRRRRRGGGHHHH.... :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hm my Sprint is an 01 and it has a 14mm master cylinder.
I'm not so sure the newer Sprints have a 17mm master cylinder.
I just want to give you a heads up on this right away.
maybe someone with a newish Sprint can clear this up?
Mikey

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I don't know if a larger M/C will solve it. It will push more brake fluid, but the lever will require more force. This is as good as an oil or tire thread! :hammer:

·
Banned
798 Posts
I stuck a D675 mc on mine. works like a champ.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sprints have the larger MC. I got one of my friends 5/8 MC and replaced mt 14mm with it and it is hard as a rock now.

It's not a lemon just Triumph making good on all the bad press.

And Yes levers are inerchangeable - even Pazzo's

[ This message was edited by: xSpeed3x on 2007-02-19 08:49 ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you all rule, I'm excited and hopeful that everything will turn out right, Triumph is a pretty good company maybe I'll just have to buy a another. :-D

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2007-02-19 08:26, kwajazz wrote:
I stuck a D675 mc on mine. works like a champ.
So was it a straight forward swap? No fiddling about? Lines reservoir etc were there any other parts required to fit it?

Had a look at the D675 MC in the shop and thought it looked pretty close too me, actual experience would be even better tho!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Triumph is giving me a new Sprint MC also.
Apparently a replacement MC for the bad Sprint press recently
We shall see... :ppcn:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just got the goodwill done pn the brakes this afternoon. The maximum travel of the lever ends now where the previous initial engagement occurred. Totally different feel - very positive.

I would call it perfect except for the shoddy alignment job done at the shop - they set the brake line so high at the MC that the lines will not stay in the clips on the fender. A quick fix, thankfully I have LOADS of experience bleeding these brakes. I hope the brakes stay this way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2007-02-19 19:48, sss1200 wrote:
So was it a straight forward swap? No fiddling about? Lines reservoir etc were there any other parts required to fit it?

Had a look at the D675 MC in the shop and thought it looked pretty close too me, actual experience would be even better tho!
No, you'll need to change the lines. Go for a 2 line race setup, forget the 3 line setup. Each caliper gets his own line from the MC. You will also need to fabricate a new fluid holder bracket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called my dealer today and they told me that the only thing on the triumph system is to replace the seals (which did not make any difference on mine). Nothing about changing the M/C on the speed triple. They said that they are changing them on the sprint but not on the ST. Did you all pay for a new M/C ????

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2007-02-21 11:15, kursat wrote:
I called my dealer today and they told me that the only thing on the triumph system is to replace the seals (which did not make any difference on mine). Nothing about changing the M/C on the speed triple. They said that they are changing them on the sprint but not on the ST. Did you all pay for a new M/C ????
According to Bike Bandit $170. That's good money for a 19mm radial MC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My M/C is going to be free, as are the new pistons and seals. My dealer was an advocate with the Triumph rep to make sure they were fixed properly. I haven't got my bike back yet, they only ordered the m/c yesterday. The dealer had prior authorization for all the parts. I guess it depends on how hard the service manager pushes the area rep to make things right. Good luck. :???:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts