Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to a 18 tooth primary, and w/ 18,000 miles I am replacing the chain now...
I'm looking for a good after market rear sprocket...
Figured I might as well do it now...
Suggestions on brands, manufactures and distributers that you like?
Looks, material are deciding factors...
Thanks...
Flaco...
Oh yeah! My original is an O'ring correct?
Should I replace w O'ring or X'ring?
Difference being?

·
Registered
234 Posts
aluminum

I tried one of the anodized aluminum ones in black because it looked really nice with the gold x chain. Seemed to be fine for about 6k, then it went down hill fast. Went back to stock. The weight savings wasnt noticeable in the handlling.

Hoopla

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
the stock chain is an X ring, which is better than an O ring. I replaced my stock chain with an RX XSO chain. It's an X ring and can be found for under $120. You'll need 104 links, but will have to buy a longer one and remove some links.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the stock chain is an X ring, which is better than an O ring. I replaced my stock chain with an RX XSO chain. It's an X ring and can be found for under $120. You'll need 104 links, but will have to buy a longer one and remove some links.
Thanks
Now I need to find out about the rear sprocket.
I may just go with the stock replacement...
I ride daily and hard on weekends...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
IMO, as a general rule, 525 chain with steel sprockets is the way to go for these twins. Beyond that it is all personal preference for gearing & looks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i know newbonneville offers some aftermarket and british customs makes their own aftermarket rear sprocket as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts