Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m considering going from the UK to Faro (portugal) the long way, possibly with a couple of 400 mile days inc. Starting off by taking the over night ferry from the north of England - Europoort (hook of holland) Following this Route The only thing in france I`d like to see is the new(ish) Millau bridge. the rest of france doesn`t interest me I just want to get across france as fast as possible, and get down into Spain & portugal and ultimately down to the Faro bike show on the portugese algarve. Which is why a couple of 400 mile days are being considered using motorways & toll roads.

Ideally I`d do:
Day 1 Off Ferry -> Stuttgart (visit a buddy for the weekend)
Day 4 Stuttgart -> Clermont Ferrand & overnight in a budget hotel
Day 5 Clermont Ferrand -> Pau ( via Millau) & overnight in a budget hotel
Day 6 Pau -> Salamanca (crossing the pyrenees from Pau to Jaca, then rest for a couple of days at Salamanca)
Day 9 Salamanca -> Olhao (rest for a couple of days at camping Ohlao, prior to faro, and the bike show)
maybe that time scale is too optomistic to achieve, but .................on a 2006 1050 sprint with the usual list of FARKLES fitted, 400 miles per day, is it achievable........what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I don't know what kind of traffic issues you might have over there, but here in Arizona and surrounding states, 400 mile days are not at all unusual - some people do a LOT more some days - I think you would probably get a better idea if you can work out your average speed including stops (obviously it would be an estimate) and then ask yourself if you want to spend that many hours in the saddle each day... and obviously the number of days you would have to do it for would also effect the answer to that equation - but the short answer from this side of the pond is "Yes".:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
A lot depends on the roads, traffic conditions and, of course, weather.

I do 5-600 mile days routinely but those are mostly on wide open motorways where, despite a 70 mph speed limit, it is fairly easy to maintain a 70 mph rolling average.

On extreme twisties, with their typical lower limits imposed either by civil law or physics, a 300 mile day can be taxing.

Somewhere in the middle lie secondary roads which, in this country are either 55 or 65 mph limits with sections through towns down to 25 mph. It can be hard to maintain sufficient average speed to complete 400 miles in daylight. I don't enjoy night riding and with the proliferation of critters out in the country, I'll try to avoid it.

The bike, of course, doesn't care a whit. 200 miles, 400, 1000. The Sprint is a willing partner whose only fault is that it keeps whispering to me, "Faster, faster, faster".:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here in Albeta 400 miles or 640 km, is about a good ride to get somewhere that is good riding. Last weekend I rode from Southern Alberta to Central Alberta (sorry Calliway had not time to call or drop you a line), 550km each way which is about 340 miles. That is a pretty easy day when the speed limit is 110 km/hr.

So when you look at your trip, what is the speed limit for the areas that you are planning your 400 mile days? If it is around 60-75 miles per hour, a 400 mile day is easy. If on the other had it is all 40-50 mile per hour, 400 miles is a very long day.

As stated previously look at your route and what is the speed limit, it will give you a better idea on how long the day would be.

Dr. Triumph

·
Registered
98 Posts
400 miles is an easy task on any bike. I've done 600 miles days on my cbr hitting nothing but twisties and highway maybe for 30 miles. It wore me out but it was a ride to remember. Condition yourself and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I did a European tour in 1982, two up on a BMW R100S and we did several 400 plus mile days, some of them without going near a motorway. More recently, I've done a couple of 400 mile days on my 955 RS, although a combination of my aged bones and the more sporty riding position would probably prevent me from doing several long days consecutively. However, I'd have thought that you would have no problem on a 1050ST. The trip sounds great;enjoy.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Pierre,

I recently did 2,300 miles in five days on back highways, averaging 460 per day. One day was 600 miles. I wasn't sore but I was a little worn out at the end. 400 is doable in most cases depending on, as the others have said, the roads and speed limits.

In my limited experience and how often and long I rest, 400 is about an eight hour day on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
..... as said above the Sprint is very capable but it depends on you.

400miles is about my longest day ride and I wouldnt have wanted to go much further - my backside said enough.But I was good as gold again next morning after a rest.

The key is to stop for a stretch and a short break every couple of hours before you get too uncomfortable.Make sure you keep the fluids up too.

Good if you've done a couple of longish rides before heading off.

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Absolutely doable Pierre. No problem unless you're really unlucky with traffic, or weather. Just done a Euro tour myself and a couple of +350 mile days were easy (I stuck to A roads too). Last day was 443 miles and it piss#d down for the final 200.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I usually plan a few group rides a year picking off every twisty road possible and I shoot for 600kms per day. its seems to work well.

best of luck and ride safe on your trip

·
Registered
450 Posts
My GPS gives a time estimate for the route I put in. It is always optimistic and assumes that I do not have a lot of stops or breaks along the way. It does however give you a sense of how much time is involved as it reflects the speed limits of the roads chosen for the route. I think Google maps does the same calculations. The annual summer ritual of road construction is always an unknown. This is another way to get a sense of how much time is needed for each leg of the journey.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope to see some pics after you get back home:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know one of the guys at work has just ridden to Italy on his 955 Tiger and he was doing 400 miles everyday.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think that's kilometers. 1,000 km in 7 hours is 143 km/hr or 88 mph. Still pretty quick considering refueling and pit stops. In this part of the universe that's grounds for getting arrested for "street racing" and having your ride seized on the spot.

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
I think that's kilometers. 1,000 km in 7 hours is 143 km/hr or 88 mph. Still pretty quick considering refueling and pit stops. In this part of the universe that's grounds for getting arrested for "street racing" and having your ride seized on the spot.
Let me clarify for Nev1050 as those not in Australia may not be aware.

Nev lives in Darwin the Capital of Australia's "Northern Territory" where you cannot swim in the sea or rivers and creeks because of Estuarine Crocs etc.

Only recently did the NT government introduce a speed limit for the open highways.
The speed limit is now 130kph in NT
or 80.7782mph.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2007/s1820876.htm

Most States in Australia have a main highway speed limit of either 110kph (68mph) or 100kph (60mph).
But Northern Territories have very wide open spaces largely uninhabited except for wildelife.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just did 507 miles to meet a group for lunch.. Left the house about 7:45. Got to lunch at 11:10, then back on the road at 2:30 and home @5:13. Temps were nice starting out but got hot in the PM. (mid 90's)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't disagree with the people who mention the type of riding/traffic has a lot to do with this, but I can say that 400 mile days piled one behind the next is aggressive especially if you haven't built up the stamina/muscles for it. Some flying couches pile those miles up easily (ex Goldwing), but the Sprint isn't one of those bikes. Some people wouldn't have any problem doing those miles, but most people would be suffering on the third or forth day much less the seventh. You are probably looking at 7 hours of riding at a good pace and way more for any real traffic or roads that are technical. That is a long time in any saddle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't disagree with the people who mention the type of riding/traffic has a lot to do with this, but I can say that 400 mile days piled one behind the next is aggressive especially if you haven't built up the stamina/muscles for it. Some flying couches pile those miles up easily (ex Goldwing), but the Sprint isn't one of those bikes. Some people wouldn't have any problem doing those miles, but most people would be suffering on the third or forth day much less the seventh. You are probably looking at 7 hours of riding at a good pace and way more for any real traffic or roads that are technical. That is a long time in any saddle.
Yeah, but Pierre's question was only about a couple of 400mile days from a longer holiday.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.
its deffinately instilling confidence in the bike. 90% of the french roads I`ll be riding on will be grade A motorways & toll roads.
I did north-south spain last july, catching the ferry to Bilbao from the UK, the bike only did around 2000 miles then. But the ferry is so boring, and I`m really like to visit my buddy (& her family) in germany en-route.
atm, I`m putting the plan together, with the view of setting out around the of 1st July, and arriving in Faro portugal sometime around 12th-13th. after that my plans are open

1 - 20 of 36 Posts