Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. well, this is the second season of riding for me and i have now had the "thrill" of riding in high winds. all i can say is "wow!". spend the 55 mile trip home mostly leaning way to the right and trying to keep the bike in one lane. ending up doing what i usually hate doing which is tucking in behind a semitruck. how high has the wind been when you all have been riding? -keith

·
Registered
180 Posts
I rode in some 30 + wind yesterday. Went for a short ride on my Scrambler. I tucked down or followed a mini van when on the hi-way.
It was a work out for sure. I rode about 40 miles, 16 on the hi-way and the rest on two lane.

odie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Riding in heavy crosswinds can be interesting. Some bikes are much more sensitive to it than others. My (recently sold) Buell Ulysses and Harley Superglide are pretty stable in those conditions, but the Scrambler is a little skittish. The bike I had that handled worst in crosswinds was an XT350. It was downiright dangerous in 40-50mph wind. One of the major reasons I sold that bike.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't get much vicious wind where I usually ride in NJ but don't like high-wind riding - too scary. I will slow down if too strong.

·
Registered
358 Posts
here in south texas we get some pretty heinous wind on a regular basis. i try to avoid riding in it as much as i can. its not so much the steady wind that will get you, its the gusts. 25kt gusting to 35kt is not out of the ordinary and can be downright scary on the back roads.

·
Registered
510 Posts
35-40 mph is my limit. I'm still a relative newbie - 2 years riding. Therefore, If I can avoid winds like those, I do. And, I typically avoid highway riding in those conditions due to the possibility of changing wind/gusts that make my 'necessary' lean 'unnecessary' and tend to use my weight against me. Makes me nervous.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i got to ride in some fantastic hail, rain, and wind (at night!) a few days ago on a major pennsylvania highway. huge tractor trailers pushing me around and cages cutting me off. the bonneville isn't particular heavy so the wind was pushing me around.

it wasn't a fun ride at all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
30+ mph

I did about 100 miles in 30+ wind a couple of weeks ago and it is no fun. Head on is not so bad, a tail wind is great, but when it is crossing it does get tricky. I probably would not have made the ride but was trying to watch both of my kids play ball in different towns. I had ridden the bike to my son's game which was about 5 miles from home and found out that he would not be playing until a later game and if I hurried I could catch a couple of my daughter's games 45 miles away and still come back and see him play. It was not too windy when I started out but I had the "frog in the blender" effect going before I got there. I took my small wind shield off about a month ago and it does make a difference. It is much worse without it.

Pops

·
Registered
41 Posts
35+

Commuted into work last week and hit 35+ mph from the right-front quarter while going over the bay bridge. :eek: Or rather, it hit me, and it was pretty cold and gusting rather than steady. Something about being way up in the air at the same time, over water, that added to the sense of "*** am I doing here when I could be nice and cozy in my cager..."

From now on, I'm checking the wind reports.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Had one of the most miserable rides in more than 20 years of riding with steady rain, temps in hi 40s (F) and crosswinds of 30+ mph. Very scary.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here in the windy city (Chicago), winds can get pretty high.
I think the biggest gust I've ridden in was 30, and 10 minutes of that
and I just about had it. Took the enjoyment out of my ride.

I'm a new rider as well and plan to not ride when the winds are anywhere over 25.

If you go to weatherunderground and check out their "wundermap", it shows which way the wind is blowing and at what speed. It's based on weather stations so I think it's pretty accurate. Helps me plan my ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts