Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. New member here, and eager for advice.

I'm looking at a 70 Bonneville T120 with 4-speed box. Having only owned 5-speed 70's T140s, I'm looking for insight into what to expect from a 4-speed. My riding goals are twisty backroads and only enough highway to reach them. Any limitations, disadvantages, advantages, etc. for which I should be prepared?

Many thanks for the input!

Bill
Indianapolis

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I've always felt that the 650 Triumphs never needed a 5 speed; the old 4 speed was a good, flexible and well ratioed unit. I think that Triumph was just "keeping up with the Jonses" when they put in the extra gear.

Plus, it makes it easier on the (aging) "village idiot's" shifting foot....one less flex: Jim

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Any limitations, disadvantages, advantages, etc. for which I should be prepared?
I would install a 6 speed if it were an option. ;)

Nothing wrong with a 4, just not as much fun.

If you are used to a 5 and go to a 4, you may find yourself searching for that final gear.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
These old clunkers need to keep the rev's up for the charging system to work, especially if you ride with the headlight on.

Rarely need to use 5th gear by the way i ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've always felt that the 650 Triumphs never needed a 5 speed; the old 4 speed was a good, flexible and well ratioed unit. I think that Triumph was just "keeping up with the Jonses" when they put in the extra gear.

Plus, it makes it easier on the (aging) "village idiot's" shifting foot....one less flex: Jim
I agree with that Jim .
I reckon 1st and top are pretty much the same on both the 4 and 5 speed box so you are just changing more with the 5 speed.
The Triumph 650 is torquey enough that it doesn't need loads of gears to keep it buzzing in the "powerband"

I'm sure that ,once you snick it into top, you'd not know .

If you have a big-carb'd , open-megga, wild-cam cafe/race-hound . .
. . now thats a different story :D

Al.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. Good to know it's good to go.

I also drive a '60 Triumph TR3A with a 4-speed. There are times, very few, when I long for an overdrive unit to tame highway speeds, if nothing else. The simplicity of the 4-speed can't be beat, though.

I'm eager to try out the Bonnie next week and see if I can keep the rear brake and shift pedals straight.

Thanks, guys.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts