Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I paid a visit to Capitol Area Triumph, when pulling around back I noticed 4..( yes 4 )...Harley's sitting out front. Wished I had my camera with me to get a photo. Couple sportsters and a couple dresser's going for a ride, and stopping in to see the new bikes.

A few day's later I took the bike up for a ride, when pulling around back there was a guy there on a big dog chopper out back talking to the part's guy. I pulled up just as the guy was talkin number's about his bike, this thing cost him a pile of money and apparently he put more in it getting it running "right"

The part's guy say's to him..." see the bonneville that just pulled in, 82 rwhp on that bike. Probably one of the strongest bonnie's around" The guy say's..." is that a mikuni carb I see on that thing?" Part's guy says.." No, it's 2 mikuni's"

Wil said the guy kinda cut the conversation short from that point and left, :)

I love my bonneville :-D

·
Registered
711 Posts
SCC, great story. I met a guy on an older Beemer R100s at the gas station the other evening. We said hello and he asked about the America. He knew it by model name and said he really liked the Bonnie line and was thinking of buying one. This guy had some serious miles on his pristine bike. It made me feel good to see the Triumphs are establishing solid credentials with the other brand riders that are knowledgeable about the "right" stuff. I don't need anyones approval to love my Triumph, but these types of anecdotal examples show Triumph is on the right path (hope they don't muck it up!).

Cheers.
BobW :-g

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
You gotta figure there must be a blazing internal conflict going on inside a lot of HD riders when they first see the new twins. They have the HD big dog mentality and leaving the HD brand to go Triumph would be like a AA member trying to leave the group. But on the other hand there's no doubt the part of thier soul not brainwashed into believeing theres only one real motorcycle can't help but lust after them. Gotta be a painful experience. :-D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
daz, you're right about the conflict and painful struggle.

We can only help by hot rodding out bonnies as SCCTrim has and smoking the***** out of HD's to further add to their confusion and frustration. They can't divide 100 cubic inches by 790-904cc's fast enough to figure out that they got smoked by a bike that's 2 cylinders are about the same size as each one of theirs.

[ This message was edited by: sweatmachine on 2006-11-30 09:49 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
They can't divide 100 cubic inches by 790-904cc's fast enough to figure out that they got smoked by a bike that's 2 cylinders are about the same size as each one of theirs.
And the funny thing about that is the only bikes in thier lineup with any grunt, the 1200 sportster and Vrod are the 2 bikes they themselves shun ! It's as tho they fear anything faster than thier bikes even if it wears thier own badge. :-D

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
While I was getting gas last weekend, a scruffy Harley guy walked by and choked out "I like your bike" like he was admitting to some sick perversion over which he had no control. :razz:

·
Registered
220 Posts
There has always been a grudging (banter-filled) respect between the riders of the pre-jap bikes. You will find that most veteran riders have at one time owned at least one of the various "legacy bikes":

HD
Triumph, BSA or Norton
BMW

and to a lesser degree Moto Guzzi and/or Ducati.

It's all about the air cooled twin engine in it's various forms.

The Bonneville has finally brought Triumph back into the 'fold" with us old dinosaurs...

·
Registered
290 Posts
bobw3592

I traded my 2004 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (pic below) for a 2004 Thruxton, ya sure the BMW is faster, better brakes and handling, but the look of the Triumph, you just can't Deny it!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
The chopper look bikes and the pirate clothes are what turn me off about most Harleys. On the other hand, some guys really get it right:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey 4Triumph, great pics. After that freak early snow NY received, I hope you and your new baby had some great Indian Summer riding days like we have enjoyed. Temps are crashing this weekend big time. Time to stop riding in shorts... I put 7800 miles on the America since June, just had the front rotor warrantied R+R for minor warping. Had em take off the original Bridgestone tires and put some Metz's on. Man what a great difference. I am deciding on suspension upgrades for this winter. She gets better and better each mile.

SCC, sorry for thread detour.

BobW

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Yarrrr.......nice little triumph ya got thar matey. But taint no harley.......yarrrrr.......

·
Registered
493 Posts
On 2006-11-30 19:17, raproe wrote:
The chopper look bikes and the pirate clothes are what turn me off about most Harleys. On the other hand, some guys really get it right:

That is Edman's bike. It is the bike that most inspired me on going the cafe route with mine. Here is a link to Edman's cafe site. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
"It's just a Sportster, but I'm saving up for a Big Twin."
That's like saying "It's just a Corvette, but I'm saving up for a station wagon."
- Stephanie Feld in HOT XL magazine, Summer 1997

haha, I like that.

Ed's bike is hot, and so is yours Joe Dirt.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, Harley's can be fun bikes. Most of the air cooled twins of any brand have more in common than differences. There's no doubt that HD has the highest percentage of bone heads. But it just goes to show you can go your own way on any bike. :wink:

·
Registered
913 Posts
The only thing I dislike about Harleys is they are frickin' everywhere around here. I mean EVERYWHERE. Might have something to do with being pretty close to where they're built but after a while they just get BORING. Choppers too, I even have neighbors with the big OCC inspired choppers. Don't see too many bonnies though. :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.