Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made 31k km on my '12 striple R in exactly 10 months!

The balance between fun riding and commuting has now flipped to the bad side for me recently.

Summer was great, had loads of good weather and good rides including on the holidays and track days. But now I'm not looking forward to my commute as I used to do. It's more of a 'must do' than a 'want to do' right now and sometimes I find myself really liking the occasional carpool with some coworkers.

It's not that bad that I want to drive by car all the time :)

Ears are bothering me a bit, even though I take all the precautions like custom earplugs, whisper kits on my shoei helmet and recently I've put dynamat in my helmet to block more noise. I just ride a little bit too fast I guess and that extra speed generates a lot more noise, since when I drive well within the speed limit everything is fine.

With the weather changing, it's back to goretex gear and gerbings heated stuff, which is more of a hassle to put on.

That said, I totally love the striple and I look forward to riding another 30k on it. I think it has been a very good choice to get this bike. I wanto feel a little better about it, so essentially, winter is coming up and I'm looking for some fun mods.

changing the sprocket is high on the listm buy maybe not sensible to do with the roads being more slippery. I want clipons too, but I'll save that for after the winter and when the track season starts again.

When does the chain need to be replaced, what is a normal mileage I can get out of it? My 30k maintenance is scheduled, is that a good time to change the chain/sprockets?

any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you're not beating on the bike that triple can easily handle it .
As for your ear problem I would suggest a better helmet . A high end Shoei or Arai since you ride so much.
Your chain and sprockets will last a long time as long as you keep the chain clean and proper tension.

·
Registered
88 Posts
31 000 km in such a small country with so little twisties. My hat is off to you!

If I were commuting that much, I guess I would look into a second bike to eat all the commuter miles. I always feel "guilty" when riding on boring roads with my street triple. There are two-wheelers which are great for commuting (from a Honda Innova/Wave 110i up to a NC700x) - more practical and economical for the task. You will have room to put stuff, some protection from bad weather and it will only use half as much gas. As a plus it will also keep you longing for the thrill of the striple and enjoy the joy-riding that much more. ; )

When does the chain need to be replaced, what is a normal mileage I can get out of it? My 30k maintenance is scheduled, is that a good time to change the chain/sprockets?
It depends. You should certainly take a close look and decide based on what you see. Some people get 25K km out of their chains for others it will last 40K to 50K. If you really did a lot of commuting at steady speeds chances are your chain will last rather longer than shorter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd suggest moving closer to work. That is a ridiculous amount to commute.
Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I go where the work is, on the bike. I'll be working somewhere else in a couple of months doing freelance jobs for about 6 months at a time.
I found my limit though, don't want to go any further than the 75 minutes I do right now.
If you're not beating on the bike that triple can easily handle it .
As for your ear problem I would suggest a better helmet . A high end Shoei or Arai since you ride so much.
Your chain and sprockets will last a long time as long as you keep the chain clean and proper tension.
I have a shoei rf/xr 1100. Custom fitted earplugs. I might go with schubert soon (supposed to be the most noiseless helmets)

31 000 km in such a small country with so little twisties. My hat is off to you!

If I were commuting that much, I guess I would look into a second bike to eat all the commuter miles. I always feel "guilty" when riding on boring roads with my street triple. There are two-wheelers which are great for commuting (from a Honda Innova/Wave 110i up to a NC700x) - more practical and economical for the task. You will have room to put stuff, some protection from bad weather and it will only use half as much gas. As a plus it will also keep you longing for the thrill of the striple and enjoy the joy-riding that much more. ; )

It depends. You should certainly take a close look and decide based on what you see. Some people get 25K km out of their chains for others it will last 40K to 50K. If you really did a lot of commuting at steady speeds chances are your chain will last rather longer than shorter.
thanks!

second bike, love the thought :) been thinking about scooter types too. I'll check your suggestions. Keeps me a lot warmer too, and at lower speed probably, better for my ears.

As for the chains, it also depends on what I want to spend. There's no economical reason for me not to do it...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Speaking of chains, I was stranded in the middle of nowhere today when my 3 month old X Ring chain decided to self destruct after about 2000km of use. I pushed the bike for a few kms (no fun in full leathers, high humidity and a warm day) until I came across a workshop that fixes lawn mowers, chainsaws etc and they managed to do a temp repair on the chain (for free bless them) so I could get back to my country. My poor bike is with the mechanic waiting for a new chain

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good excercise :)
did it have anything to do with the +2 on the rear sprocket?

forgot to add that for the sprocket question. I want to go smaller on the front sprocket/larger on the back. that's why I had the question about it. Otherwise I'd just keep the chain a lot longer

·
Registered
607 Posts
The problem isn't the sprocket, it's the moron sat on the bike who keeps pulling wheelies. It's difficult having any mechanical sympathy when you're having so much fun :D

Clipons were the best thing I ever did. If you point the top of your head into the wind, most helmets make less noise, that and the forward lean gets you under the air flowing over the fly screen. Neck hurts less, ears hurt less. I'm tempted to ditch the 49T sprocket and either go back to 47T or try a 48T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts