Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a guy locally who's selling an orange '03 Speed Four with 30K miles. Craigslist ad says $2800, I'm sure I could talk him down from that. Would it be worth it for about $2300, should I go lower, or should I save my money and spend the extra cash on something with less use?

For reference, my '97 Kawasplodey ZX-6E completely shat the bed at 40K miles, and parts for that were a lot easier to come by.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I’ve got 10k miles on my year old S4 and haven’t had any issues. I’d hope to get well over 30k reliable miles (don’t see why not).

But since sportbikes are usually only ridden 500 miles a year :D you could probably really low ball the guy based on the number of miles that are on it (especially in this market). Spring hasn’t exactly sprung (especially in IL) so I would be surprised if he moves it anytime soon, time may be on your side. Also, if you keep running searches in bike trader you may find a plethora of nicer newer supersports in the $3k range in the coming weeks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've got a 00' TT, same motor with a different state of tune. It lmade it to 28000 before it dropped a valve and destroyed #4 cylinder.

Now bear in mind, how it was used is more important than how long it was used. My bike wasn't exactly abused, but damn close. It only cost about $800 to put it back together. Including a used head.

So, its one of those things it could last forever or only another week, its manmade so you can't tell.

GO for $2500 and haggle from there.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
30K is nothing on a well cared for S4 engine. My 2001 TT600 went 45K and was flogged hard, very hard, before it threw a rod. I'm convinced the only reason it threw a rod is a 1500 rpm raised rev limit I used regularly on the track. A good 5K of those miles were track miles with another 5K street miles bouncing off the raised rev limit. There were plenty more miles on it bouncing off the limiter before I raised it.

So, if it can go nearly 50K miles under those conditions, chances are you will see a whole lot more out of a less stressed S4 motor. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find a 100K mile TT600 or S4 one of these days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
58,000+ miles on mine. Ridden all year round. Only significant issue was stator & regulator which I had to replace last spring.

Keep it maintained and you will be well rewarded. I can't really speak to the price, but as long as it's been kept up you should be ok.

Zane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts