Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

30 F and freezing fog

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  BonnyGuy 
#1 ·
As the subject line suggests, I just returned from my first ride in below freezing temps. My only problem, and a big one, was fogging of my face shield unless it was open to the bitter wind.
Any suggestions from you guys who ride in this all winter long?

I see it is mild for most of you back East. I am riding in the Portland, Oregon area so I guess it's our turn in the barrel :)
Thanks

#2 ·
Spit on it! I kid you not, It's an old scuba trick. Before diving I would spit in my face mask, swish it over the lens with my fingers, then rinse it out. Problem solved no fogging. Give it a try. I'm pretty sure it will work, in a pinch. I don't wear a shield, never have unless weather demanded it. (Weather also includes large numbers of grasshoppers). I wear a foam face shield with my Davida Classic helmet and appropriate glasses, if circumstances demand it..
If the spitting sounds gross,...get over it. It's better than not seeing. There may be a chemical spray that will have the same effect, but spit and rinse will work in a pinch.

[ This message was edited by: Jimi_X on 2006-12-19 16:55 ]

#3 ·
What's up Bonny...Check out the Bonnie Forum, I posted a shout out to those in the Portland area and Southwest Washington...Thinking about putting together a "Meet" if you will come Spring time! I didn't ride today...My commute is 30 miles one way...and since I built my Tacoma to handle nasty weather, I took the truck today...Last week was all bike though. Kind of nice here in the Northwest...You really never have to "Winter-ize" the bike and store it...you just have to deal with some dry, Very cold weather sometimes. Anyhow...I have a HJC Full face, and what I do is crack the shield open just a sliver...that keeps a nice flow of air on the inside of the lense. I also keep a small lense cleaner (thin microfiber material) in my pocket to dry the inside at a light if it's too much. When it gets too cold? Close it...I do it all the time...Works great...I tend to ride with the faceshield open in town (not freeway)...I enjoy the air, Cold or Hot, on my face...the joy of riding a motorcycle! Hope to see you around!

Or you can spit on it...

#5 ·
Even though it's not recommended for plastic, I use the Rain-X brand products on my Lexan shield. They make an anti-fog for the inside of the lens, normal stuff for the outside. Works ok, but not great. The best I've found so far though.

#6 ·
Hey BonnieGuy I have the same problem.

I work the night shift and some mornings on the way home from work there is so much moisture inthe air that my face shield is just dripping wet. Also I wear glasses and they get the same way. I can't just open my face shield and put my glasses down on the end of my nose because the bitter cold just stings my eyes and I can't see anyway.

The only thing that KINDA works for me is that I keep a hanky in my top coat pocket and I wipe my face shield and glasses from time to time. It can get real bad this time of year with the cold and all the moisture in the air. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Rick.......................

#8 ·
I use a Scorpion too. I have tried various combos with the vents and it makes a great deal of difference. I can flip it up at a light and back down when moving. An occasional open/shut will clear any extra fog while moving and then temp seems to equalize and stay clear.

The Scorpion also has a chin cup available that snaps in like the nose piece (same material). This piece is about 7-8 bucks and I think it fits some other brands as well. This keeps an amazing amount of bad weather out and helps with noise and helmet lift. I originally bought it for bad weather, but just leave it in now. A little warmer in summer, but pluses outweigh minuses.

#9 ·
Gidday,

I have a Nolan X-Lite helmet. The visor has two pin-lock type nubs on the inside for an anti-fog insert, which I got. I have to say, it is brilliant.

On a cold day in rotten weather, I look at the very edge of the visor, and it's totally fogged up. But the area with the fog-shield is absolutely clear.

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but there's a thin rubber seal at the bottom, and a slight air gap between the two.

However, the visor is a bit loose, and sometimes insects manage to get between the two visors.

Fog City makes some good inserts as well.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Here it's been like 28, which is foggin' freezing!
When I have fogging problems with the face shield, I open it a crack and try to direct my breath downward. It's usually only a problem at stoplights.

BTW, in the cold weather, I use stoplight pauses as a chance to reach down and warm my hands on the cylinder heads or valve cover. Might look perplexing to an observer, but the efffect is very nice!

#11 ·
BTW, in the cold weather, I use stoplight pauses as a chance to reach down and warm my hands on the cylinder heads or valve cover. Might look perplexing to an observer, but the efffect is very nice!
Oh yeah! That engine heat is good good stuff when the temps drop. At stop lights I'm draped over that thing like a blanket on a baby.

#12 ·
Another Scorpion user here! I love their no fog shields but I had to go to one of their heated shields for winter.

No, their regular shields don't fog BUT I too went thru some fog that deposited rime ice on the surface of everything. I was going down the road using the squeegee on my mitten to scrape off the ice on the outside of the shield. Also when stopped to talk with fellow riders my breath would rise and freeze on the inside of the regular shields. Again no fog just ice!

Their heated shields work great.

A few of us up here have studded up some tires and have been having a lot of fun. If you're interested there's quite a bit more about winter ridin over on www.yearroundriders.com and www.advrider.com where I'm AKDuc. As you might imagine the photo ops are amazing! This is one of my favorites. It's me comin out of Eklutna with Bold Peak in the background about 40mi north of Anchorage. Fun!

Take care and Happy Holidays, Mark H.

#14 ·
I swear by the the Fog City Pro shield (the not pro one is not nearly as good) Clicky. Properly applied, it doesn't fog until about 5F (-13C) when the breath ffreezes on the shield before the hydrophillic effect has a chance to do its thing. I ride with one year round with no problem.

The are available from a lot of source. My dealer sells them.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.