Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went with my dad and uncle on a trip crossing 12 states in the last week. I fitted a new Sargent seat to my 2007 speed triple after finding out the hard way that the stock seat is not good for long distance. Well, the Sargent seat is WAY better. I could ride about 3 or 4 hours without much discomfort but after that, it was pretty bad. My dad let me borrow his Airhawk motorcycle seat cushion and it was simply amazing. I'm thinking of selling the Sargent, and buying the Airhawk for the stock seat I still have. I had literally NO discomfort butt-wise. Even my lower back wasn't hurting much. It's a series of air cells that suspends your backside above the seat below. There are no pressure points. They use the same design for people bound to wheelchairs to prevent sores from forming.
You can find more info here: http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx

Also want to add that I picked up a cramp-buster throttle rest. It eliminated my hand cramping. The best $9 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1000 miles in 2 days

Man, I wish I had read this before I took my trip this week. I went from northwestern Missouri to southcentral Wisconsin for my grandmother's funeral. I couldn't leave until after my grad classes on Tuesday, so I left at 1 p.m. -- it was 98 on the thermometer, 110 with the heat index. Most of the trip is across Iowa, and I chose the best back road route I could find on the map, but it was mostly a straight line ride with no shade past the stinkinest hog farms you've ever smelled! My backpack covered up the most effective ventilation on my Icon jacket, the shoulder vents. It was basically miserable.
Then, near Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I see a black wall of clouds that looks like hell in the sky and I think "yea though I ride through the valley of the shadow of death...." Then all of a sudden its like I ride into a beer cooler -- boom, the temp must have dropped 25 degrees. Then 10 seconds later a wind like I've never felt hits, coming directly into my left side. I swear I had to lean the bike 25 to 30 degrees just to maintain a straight line. Winds in this storm were recorded as high as 75 mph. I rode in this for about 15 miles before I found a small town I could hide in. I waited it out for about 45 minutes then was able to move on.

So that was the bad part, the good part -- I mailed my backpack home after the funeral and on the way home rode some of the best roads I've ever found in the midwest. The majority of the ride was a 100 mph burn on desolate back roads, leaning into 40 mph posted corners on good, clean pavement. It was beautiful.

Now, to the point I guess - that place on the ass where the thigh bones join the pelvis -- I am so sore I can hardly sit down. I actually have bruising, and not from impact, from pressure over time. I found myself standing changing my riding position all the time, putting my feet on my sliders, standing on the pegs through town, etc. Oh yeah, 12 hours after the end of my trip and some of my fingertips are still tingling and numb.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Triple is an amazing bike -- I've had it on the track, redlined for hours in a day. Any I've had it touring, sitting at 4/5/6k for hours on end. Either way, the bike never falters. An amazing machine. No back troubles or anything, just ass and right hand.

But, If I'm going to hit the road again, seat is getting this upgrade:
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
I've heard GREAT reviews, and it's only $50, so you really can't go wrong.
Then I'm gonna get the throttle rest mentioned above.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 03Speed3,
We too rode through Iowa and Missiouri. We experienced the same thing. 100 degree heat and all of a sudden, very cold and rainy / windy conditions. It was pretty scary but at least we cooled off! My Alpinestars textile Stunt jacket really helped keep my cool during most of the ride but we were going about 100 most of the time. The hog farms are the worst; it seemed like the smell would linger in our helmets for miles. The first trip we took a year ago was about 1400 miles and I was absolutely miserable on my stock seat. I had to stand up like you said, sit kind of sideways, basically fidget the whole time to keep my legs from going numb. My dad rode the bike this trip for a 100 mile stretch and even though it had the Sargent seat on, he proclaimed it should be used as a torture device at Guantanamo prison.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a series of air cells that suspends your backside above the seat below.
Did you notice a feeling of "disconnectedness" from the bike while using the Airhawk?
I've read some people pan it because they can feel their butt "sliding" around above the seat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did a 2700 mile trip with a $20 gel-like rubber pad from Wal-Mart strapped to the seat of my 2008 S3 with ZERO ass discomfort. I made elastic bands by sewing two ends of an elastic strip together ($3-$4) to attach to the seat. Seat height raised maybe .5 in.

The hands and knees hurt way more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you notice a feeling of "disconnectedness" from the bike while using the Airhawk?
I've read some people pan it because they can feel their butt "sliding" around above the seat.
Yes, that is true. I don't recommend it for the twisty roads but for burning highway miles, it can't be beat. You feel as if you are floating above the bike. Honestly, when you are in the twisties, you will be hanging off the side so it doesn't come into play. It's not that big a deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts