Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm sure this will start up some controversy... :D

Did the first oil change at 500 miles, then decided to change it on Monday since we were graced with 65 degree weather.

While Triumph sells 15w50 for the Sprint, this three cylinder engine needs less viscosity and more oil flow rate, with a good EP additized lubricant for the gear box. Thus, I went with 10w40, as still approved by the manual in case there would be any warranty concerns, and used Repsol 4T Racing 10w40. At 6k I will change the oil again, sample it, and then we'll see if it works well with this motor.

The oil that drained out of the Sprint smelled of fuel and was a bit milky, signs that the engine is still seating. I took a sample and sent it off to my lab for analysis, so I'll have the results in about a week. We'll see if the oil actually needed to be changed, or if it could have gone until 6,000 miles.

Many people change it at 3k and then 6k, so we'll see if it's necessary. I'll post back with the results once I get them.

- Anthony

·
Registered
29 Posts
Milky? I've only experienced that two times in my life both a long time ago and both were a sign that the oil broke down. This happened under racing conditions MX bike and Porsche air cooled racecar. I'd be concerned that you may have a problem, maybe something has contaminated your oil? Your doing the right thing by having a oil analysis done. Please post the results.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I changed the oil in my '08 at 500, 1,700 and 6,000 miles. Each time it was black, so I don't know why yours is milky!
I had mine sampled at 6,000 miles and it had high levels of aluminum, iron and copper. So I think it was good to do frequent oil changes when it was still breaking in.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had mine analyzed and it had a high concentration of iron in the oil at 12k but we shall see on my next xhange out. I use blackstone's for analyzing and it comes back within 4 days...im dying to see what they say of your oil. I changed mine out 5 times between new and 6k miles...just looking at the oil I saw alot of aluminium floating in the catch pan.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You'll rest easier (I hope) after analysis results come in. The only time I've seen milky appearance in oil was when I had a leaking head gasket and the oil had antifreeze in it.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not worried... it didn't look like coolant. It just looks like some sediment and other metalics that are coming off during the breaking in period.

I don't use Blackstone, I use www.dysonanalysis.com. He does it for all my cars as well. Unlike Blackstone which gives you a little blurb, he gives you a more complete analysis of the oil, and he includes an MP3 with audio interpretations of the analysis. You are essentially paying for his interpretation, and it's a bit pricey, but worth it.

- Anthony

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
When the person who bought my 07 Kawasaki finally picked it up last spring after it sat in my garage all last winter, we changed the oil and it was a little milky. I was surprised because it didn't have too many miles on the oil. I asked the dealer about it and he said it possibly had picked up a little condensation over the winter from warming up the bike once a week without really riding it, thereby quick warming then quick cooling. Maybe no relationship here, but I also thought it unusual a new engine would have milky oil.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I asked the dealer about it and he said it possibly had picked up a little condensation over the winter from warming up the bike once a week without really riding it, thereby quick warming then quick cooling.
Yeah, that's one of the worst things you can do for an engine! You either need to winterize it, so it won't be run at all, or take it for a ride when you start it up.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the worst things you can do for an engine! You either need to winterize it, so it won't be run at all, or take it for a ride when you start it up.
Yes, he told me exactly the same. So thus far, I haven't run the Sprint. But I haven't exactly winterized it either! Yet....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit about the milky appearance of the oil. With the recent weather in this area condensation in the oil is perfectly normal. It is suprising how long it takes oil to get warm enough to burn off the moisture in the engine. I have a Ducati Multistrada with an oil temp display and it takes about 10 miles for the temp reading to come up to 105F in 60 deg. weather. After 20mi. or so it will reach 180ish. Granted a liquid cooled engine may warm the oil a bit more quickly it will still probably remain below 200deg. in most cool/cold weather riding. As for the fuel smell the cool temps are also to blame along with the new engine. Cold engines run richer and don't burn as efficently.As for fretting about brand or viscosity, Unless you race it or otherwise abuse it 3000mi. oil changes with just about any oil will see it last longer than your intrest in it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmmmm, was wondering. I've seen a number of recommandation on how often to change oil based on miles traveled but what about time ?????Say if I'm only riding 20-40 miles a week in the winter so I've only put about 3000 miles since oil was changed but its been 8 months since the oil has been changed. How long is it safe to leave oil in a engine ???? It does get at least a 20 or so mile ride each week

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm, was wondering. I've seen a number of recommandation on how often to change oil based on miles traveled but what about time ?????Say if I'm only riding 20-40 miles a week in the winter so I've only put about 3000 miles since oil was changed but its been 8 months since the oil has been changed. How long is it safe to leave oil in a engine ???? It does get at least a 20 or so mile ride each week
Well, the analysis will help us determine that also. Your main concern here is acidity, and assuming there is enough TBN left to fight it. I have seen where there is plenty of TBN left, but the oil was still very acidic, which is why often times on internet forums, TBN is over-simplified.

My oil was run from May - December, so I'm not far behind you time wise. We'll see how it samples and then take it from there.

- Anthony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts